Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Problem with K-3 LCD display

I've just bought a new Pentax k-3; I notice using it under a sunny day that I hardly can see the photos in the display because it's like "dirty", as you can see in the photo attached. At first I thought it could be sweat or oily skin, but by cleaning the spots do not come off. It almost seems that they are below the display. In normal condition it can hardly seen. Do you think it is a manufacturing defect?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't have a K3, and not suggesting you've set it up wrong, but take a look here>https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/249623-k3-adjusting-lcd-monitor.html

In fairness, most complaints seem to be of it being overly bright.
08-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately It's not a problem of brightness; in normal conditions the brightness is ok and the spots are invisible; the problem is under direct sun light: obviously the display is darker like any other normal lcds in that condition, but the real problem is that the spots became very visible and make difficult to see the images.
08-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not the norm

QuoteOriginally posted by nukeglus Quote
Hi, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately It's not a problem of brightness; in normal conditions the brightness is ok and the spots are invisible; the problem is under direct sun light: obviously the display is darker like any other normal lcds in that condition, but the real problem is that the spots became very visible and make difficult to see the images.

We use 2 different K-3 in Fla sun, no issues/ spots. Both have modified LCD protectors attached (left over from Blackberry Storms, cut to fit K-3). No spots with over-layer either. Did you use some off solvent to clean?

Are "spots" on the glass surface, or pixels not working? I would suggest calling a CS help line at PTX. if it is not settings, seems odd...

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 01:10 PM ----------

Is there plastic protector from the factory not removed?

08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
We use 2 different K-3 in Fla sun, no issues/ spots. Both have modified LCD protectors attached (left over from Blackberry Storms, cut to fit K-3). No spots with over-layer either. Did you use some off solvent to clean?
Personally I've not, but the camera was the last one in the shop and I fear that someone of the shop has cleaned it with something wrong... They assure me the camera was never used and just took out from the box and I trusted them.

Are "spots" on the glass surface, or pixels not working? I would suggest calling a CS help line at PTX. if it is not settings, seems odd...
The spots seem to on the glass, surely they aren't bad pixels... under normal light the display seems ok.

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 01:10 PM ----------

Is there plastic protector from the factory not removed?
If I remember well, the plastic protector was already removed when i bought it...
Tomorrow I'll go to the shop to show them the problem...
08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a coating that is applied to the rear LCD glass on the K-3. Perhaps this has been partially rubbed off? Another possibility is glue residue from a plastic film LCD protector.

Steve
08-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a coating that is applied to the rear LCD glass on the K-3. Perhaps this has been partially rubbed off? Another possibility is glue residue from a plastic film LCD protector.

Steve
I know that both of these are highly unlike, the camera being new and all.

08-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think this is a problem with expectation.

If I understand correctly the display is perfect in normal use, but under bright direct sunlight, when held so that the sun reflects off the screen the image becomes dull and a mottled effect of surface dots can be seen.

This is I think because the camera cannot output the same brightness as the sun. In a direct fight between the brightest image the screen can display, and the sun the sun will always win.

Ive seen the same issue with all lcd screen displays on digital cameras, and many cannot even be seen at all in the direct sun. Some are very good but Ive never seen one that functions well in direct sunshine. You have to shade the screen.
08-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see a very definitive "texture" on your display. If you're sure this is not on top of the glass, i.e. outside the camera,, i.e dirt, then I'm 99% sure it's a defect. I've never seen a camera LCD display with some texture like that. If it's on the outside, then clean the thing!
08-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all! Yesterday I went to the shop and they sent the camera to the service center. They say it could take about 20 days to return, as soon as I have notice I'll keep you updated, hoping everything will be fine!
09-19-2014, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Just a brief update like I promised: the service has returned the camera after replacing the display in warranty, adding also a protective film. Now everything seems to be fine
11-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nukeglus Quote
Just a brief update like I promised: the service has returned the camera after replacing the display in warranty, adding also a protective film. Now everything seems to be fine
Fantastic news!
11-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Seems like it was some sort of internal separation in the LCD...
11-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Seems like it was some sort of internal separation in the LCD...
Yes, I wonder if something went wrong with that new "airless" system?