Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Replacement part for K3

Hello all.

My K3 suffered a drop from about one metre onto concrete, it landed on the lens and the hood took the force out of the fall by shattering, however the top of the pop up flash unit has a minor abrasion.
As it is just a cosmetic plastic cover held on by four screws I would to buy another cover.
Can anyone suggest where from?
Incidentally the camera does not appear to have suffered any other damage (touch wood) a testament to the build quality and the strength of the metal body I think.

Thanks all

08-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geordieman Quote
about one metre onto concrete
Wow, sounds like you were lucky to get away with that.
08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You're pretty much out of luck as Ricoh changed their policy earlier this year and will no longer sell parts directly to the end customer. You may check with your Pentax dealer who may be (a big may be) able to order the part and sell it to you. One of the authorized service centers other than the main center might sell you the part but most likely they'll just quote you Ricoh's policy.

Under the new policy you'd have to send the camera in for service to get the part.
08-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Note that Pentax has not been very quick on responding to stock requirements of the US repair center.
Ricoh recently changed repair centers from CRIS to PrecisionCamera, but backorder delays are a Pentax supply issue.

Before you send it in for repair, be sure to see if they have the item in stock.
You may be waiting three or more months to for them to get the trivial part from overseas.

If not in stock, I would see if they can order the part before you send in your camera so you can get a speedy return time.
Dunno if that is an option, but currently Pentax does not seem to care much for its customers in that regard.

08-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Cheers Guys
Just put it down to a battle scar I think.
The accident was caused buy using one of those harnesses which threads onto the tripod socket, the maker claims that they will not come loose.
I doubled checked the tightness and locking collar, so I now use an addition small strap attached to the camera lug. so be very careful if you use one of these.
08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sorry about that, similar thing happened to me, but it was because the ring on the lug unraveled when the camera got caught on a chair I was passing by.
So be careful with those, they don't necessarily hold up well and can pull off with surprising little force.

I now also use a second strap by PeakDesign as a backup. (one connected to the lugs, another to the tripod screw).