Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC A135 Auto setting Problem

Just received a used A135, f/2.8. With the aperture ring set to A, the K3 will not let me set aperture with the e-dial. In fact six test shots of same subject at ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400 reported the same aperture of 6.7 in Av mode. I tried enabling and then disabling the aperture control preference in the C menu and ge the dreaded flashing F- - with the menu selection disabled and camera won't shoot. When the aperture ring is enabled, I can shoot but no aperture control in camera and the fixed f stop of 6.7 appeared.

Any solutions?

08-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take the lens off and examine the contacts. Make sure all are present and poking up just a bit. You might also try buffing them a bit with a microfiber cloth. I would also (if you have not) try the lens NOT on the A setting just to verify that it works properly that way. Hopefully it is just the contacts and not something more serious.
08-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes an issue with the contacts on either the camera body or lens, a white eraser (less greasy than pink or so I am told) is a good tool for scrubbing all the little electrical contacts. I have had some of my old A series lenses act up like that and usually if its in the field I just hold the lens release and crank the lens back and forth a bit and it seems to sort itself out.

If its a lens issue its most likely a simple contact issue in one way or another.
08-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Just received a used A135, f/2.8. With the aperture ring set to A, the K3 will not let me set aperture with the e-dial. In fact six test shots of same subject at ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400 reported the same aperture of 6.7 in Av mode. I tried enabling and then disabling the aperture control preference in the C menu and ge the dreaded flashing F- - with the menu selection disabled and camera won't shoot. When the aperture ring is enabled, I can shoot but no aperture control in camera and the fixed f stop of 6.7 appeared.

Any solutions?
What is the aperture set to on the lens. For in body control it must be in the A position. It could be that you have a contact problem because if you are in the A position, and turned use aperture ring off in the menus it should not show F--

The contact problem could be dirty lens contacts or dirty contacts in the switch for the A position. I have seen this before. The easy solution for the A position is to take the lens in and out of A several times by rotating the ring from A through to the minimum aperture and back into A. Note remember to press the little button to allow you in and out of A position

It could also be that there is a little "play" in the lens locking pin. With the lens mounted, gently rotate it back and forth on the mount and see if things improve

08-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem fixed! Thanks to jatrax, PPPPPP42 and Lowell Goudge for your advice. The problem was the electrical contacts. I buffed them first with a microfiber cloth and now the A setting works just fine. The lens is mint and apparently was rarely used. No bubble gum on the contacts, but there was definitely some foreign gunk that wiped right off.

Appreciate your help. I will post some images after using the lens over the Labor Day weekend.
08-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Arrived here late, but happy days on the outcome.
08-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Arrived here late, but happy days on the outcome.
Thanks. I love the feel of the A135 already.