Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Printer Calibration with a flatbed scanner

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-100 and I'm having a problem getting the output to match my monitor.
I used an Spyder 4 to calibrate my monitor and I'm using the correct paper profiles too, but the color, brightness and contrast isn't accurate.
I know I can get a Color Munki that will calibrate the printer based on a printed test pattern, but I didn't want to make the big of an investment right now.
So my question is: Is there a software solution that would allow me to use my flatbed scanner to calibrate my inkjet printer?

08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Is there a software solution that would allow me to use my flatbed scanner to calibrate my inkjet printer?
Research SilverFast IT8 calibration. It's not very cheap (relatively.) What's your scanner?

I'd get the monitor calibrated and profiled first. If the Spyder software doesn't seem to be doing the job, then I'd recommend the open source ArgyllCMS. I prefer this over the I1 software that came with my puck. You'll most likely also need the dispcalGUI front end. Once this is installed the walkthrough is quite good.

M
08-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Research SilverFast IT8 calibration.
I knew that SilverFast could be used for scanner calibration using their IT8 target, but I did not know that it could also make printer icc profiles. This is cool. Here is a link to a PDF showing how it is done:

http://www.silverfast.com/PDF/printer_calibration_review_en.pdf

Unfortunately, it also requires a version of the SilverFast software supporting the IT8 calibration feature.

Steve
08-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What paper are you using and are you using the supplied profile for that paper or have you had a custom one made for your printer and that paper?

It can make a huge difference to the out put colours and tone.

What software are you using for the print commands?

Have you turned off either of the options, printer controls or software controls output?

Getting your printer to match your screen can in some cases take some doing but should be achievable
In theory if your screen is calibrated correctly ,(and you cannot calibrate any laptop accurately by the way,)
And you use canon paper and canon ink and the supplied canon printing profile for that paper your result should be very close to what your monitor shows.

08-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
adwb - I'm using Canon paper with their ICC profile. I'm printing directly from the print module in Lightroom4.
However, I was not aware that I needed to turn off "either of the options, printer controls or software controls output." I thought since my monitor was calibrated all I need to do is press print.
08-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

in LR print module at the bottom see selection (image attached) if you select printer then you don't need to turn of any thing but you do need to select the correct profile for the paper in the printer software

Unless by selecting the paper type the software does that for you, it might?

but if you click on ,( in LR,) Managed by Printer it will turn to other and a new screen open for you select the correct profile for your paper.

if you go down that route you must in the printer software find where you can set the printer software to no ICC profile or no colour management, if you don't you can get a profile conflict as both LR and the printer software each select a profile and use both.!!

the most accurate way to is to get printer profiles made especilly for your printer but if you use canon paper and ink it should be close to your monitor if your monitor is correctly calibrated.

In lightroom develop module look for the soft proofing tick box next to the left right arrows at the bottom of the screen, you get new box open top right select the profile and you will get a reasonable approximation of what the print will look right.

the profile choice/s will only show if you have in print module selected other and selected a profile.

hope that helps
Attached Images

09-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the screen shots - I think, after reading your post, that I was probably experiencing an ICC conflict. I'll have to find out how to turn color management off at the printer.