Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
For the FA* lens, I expect the lens characteristic to be parafocal (focus plane would not change regardless of focal length). If the lens exhibits FF behaviour, the AF adjustment should be -n instead of +n. I think both lens and camera can be adjusted to ensure focus accuracy as long as both are calibrated within certain tolerance. If the camera is still under warranty, I suggest sending both camera and lens to Pentax repair to align for focus accuracy.
Do you know of any good service centers in the USA? CRIS no longer has the contract with Pentax. The new place is in the North East part of the USA and charges over $300 just to look at the equipment. At least that is what they told me over the phone. CRIS used to charge $0 to look at the lens.

09-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Do you know of any good service centers in the USA? CRIS no longer has the contract with Pentax.
I am surprised that CRIS would not accept the work. They may no longer have the contract for warranty repair, but you don't need to have that to repair legacy Pentax products. The main concern would be whether the shop has a person experienced with the requested service (adjusting AF calibration on the FA* 80-200). Unless CRIS did a layoff, those Pentax-trained people should still be on staff.

Steve
09-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

CRIS indicated to me in a phone conversation 2 things: Pentax removed every piece of Pentax proprietary equipment from their shop AND Pentax has forbidden them to do any warranty work, because their contract has expired/was not renewed.

This may just be the customer service standard line, but if that's the case they may not have any other tools other than the custom menu functions we can use at their disposal.

And holy cow! $300 just for an evaluation???
09-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
CRIS indicated to me in a phone conversation 2 things: Pentax removed every piece of Pentax proprietary equipment from their shop AND Pentax has forbidden them to do any warranty work, because their contract has expired/was not renewed.
I would expect that the FA* 80-200 is long out of warranty. It is my understanding that lens AF calibration with legacy screw-drive lenses involves tuning of the lens mechanical components and is not something that it done in-camera. That may require special equipment and definitely special training. I may be wrong, of course. It happens frequently.

Steve

09-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would expect that the FA* 80-200 is long out of warranty. It is my understanding that lens AF calibration with legacy screw-drive lenses involves tuning of the lens mechanical components and is not something that it done in-camera. That may require special equipment and definitely special training. I may be wrong, of course. It happens frequently.

Steve
you may be entirely right, and if that tuning equipment was proprietary Pentax equipment, CRIS may no longer be in possession of it. I'm only speculating, too, but either way I'm not real thrilled with only one service center option. I'm just hoping I don't have any issues with my K3. I sure as heck don't want to send it to CT.
09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Do you know of any good service centers in the USA? CRIS no longer has the contract with Pentax. The new place is in the North East part of the USA and charges over $300 just to look at the equipment. At least that is what they told me over the phone. CRIS used to charge $0 to look at the lens.
I live in Canada, my previous experience with Pentax repair support service was more than just friendly service but also great repair work. Before my K-5 2-year warranty was up last year, I took the camera and six or seven Pentax lenses including the FA limited, DA* and one MF k 55/f1.8 lens. The situation was similar to yours when AF fine adjustment was not enough -10 to correct the FF on some lenses. Since the camera was still under warranty, there was no charge for that service to calibrate the camera for me (they also cleaned the sensor and viewfinder). The camera was calibrated within specified tolerance level so that focus fine adjustment falls within the -10 to +10 range. For the AF lenses I sent to them, I don't need any find adjustment, I only need to apply adjustment to the MF k lens.

In the past, if the camera or lens were out of warranty, they will charge assessment fee (around $30) if you decide not to proceed with the repair. However, if you decide to let them proceed with the repair work, the assessment fee is absorbed in the repair bill. And I think it is fair... as they do have to spend time on it.

I learned that the repair center has also changed recently in Canada. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Hope it helps you to decide... what to do with your nice lens.
09-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
For the FA* lens, I expect the lens characteristic to be parafocal (focus plane would not change regardless of focal length). If the lens exhibits FF behaviour, the AF adjustment should be -n instead of +n. I think both lens and camera can be adjusted to ensure focus accuracy as long as both are calibrated within certain tolerance. If the camera is still under warranty, I suggest sending both camera and lens to Pentax repair to align for focus accuracy.
I should agree with you it's hard to expect something like this from FA*.

09-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi there

I recommend you to check out the different reference tools out there to use the autofocus adjustment correctly.

Here a tutorial on the one I use:
09-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My tack sharp FA* 200/2.8 lost its sharpness and developed a nasty "glow" wide open that dissappeared by f/5.6 or closer. This happened after a "cleaning service" becaused it showed to many dust specs (to my taste).

After returning the lens to the shop (twice), they got it right. According to technician, the front elements group needed a very slight adjusment, which meant turning the groups retaining ring, about 1/3 of a turn (about 1/10th of a millimeter) counterclockwise.

If your lens was ever serviced, it may well need optical recalibration, as mine did.
09-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks again everybody. I think one of my problems is learning to use the lens. This focal length and the shallow depth of field will have me working hard. I have adjust the Fine Focus in the negative direction to account for my front focus. It seems to help a little. I may send it in to have the lens calibrated with my camera but at the moment I don't have the money. If anyone happens to be interested in buying a FA* 80-200 f2.8 then make me a good offer and I might consider. It's a beauty and is sharp when in focus. And it has almost no scuff marks on it (pristine condition). Anyway, for now, I will continue to use the lens. It's a great one.