Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mode dial on K2000 is haywire!

On one of my K2000s, I noticed the mode dial will only indicate either the "M" (manual) or "AV" (aperture priority) on the monitor regardless of where I set the dial. Am I correct in assuming that something is haywire with the camera in general, or..... is there some slight chance that I've got something, somewhere, set in the wrong position? I've read the owners manual forward and backward and I can't find anything that would indicate such a thing. My other K2000 functions as advertised with no such problems. Any advice/comments/solutions?

If it comes to professional help, where would you suggest that I send it? The Pentax repair facility in Arizona (I think that's where it is) or is there a more prefered, tried-and-true facility that most Pentaxians send theirs to for repair?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

Dewman
SW Idaho

09-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might be wrong but I dimly remember that if a manual only lens (like an M42) was mounted you could only select M or Av. So if the lens you have mounted is not being recognized this might cause what you are seeing. Try a different lens or try cleaning the contacts with a microfiber cloth.
09-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the lens aperture ring set to 'A' or to another position?
09-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This will happen if you use a K or M-series lens or if you moved aperture ring out of A-position.
The camera can then only support M or Av.

Attached Images

09-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm.... this is very strange. I had a Sigma 28-300mm Hyper-Zoom on the camera when it was showing the problems mentioned. The aperture ring was set on f:11. The mode dial would only show AV or Manual. So, I switched to a 18-55mm DAL lens and all was well. Then, I switched back to the Sigma lens but set the aperture ring to "A" and BINGO! All it well in SW Idaho!

Sheez.... I feel pretty dumb! I guess I just didn't read the owners manual "forward and backward" enough, eh?

Thanks guys. I'll sleep much better tonight. I have enough on my mind as it is. Orthopedic surgeon appointment tomorrow morning to discuss hip replacement!

Dewman
SW Idaho

P.S. While were on the subject, re: camera repairs, same question..... where would you suggest a person send their camera to for repairs? The Pentax/Ricoh facility in Arizona or some other "authorized" repair shop?
09-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The facility in Arizona, CRIS Camera, is no longer the Pentax repair depot. That was changed to Precision Camera as of August first. There is a thread on this titled `repairs`.

Good luck tomorrow, my dad has had three hip replacements. Most important thing is do the rehabilitation work. And don`t fall off the back of a box truck and break the hip replacement, lol.