Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax MZ-3 Limited Mirror stuck in the middle

Hello all!

I'm having some trouble with a Pentax MZ-3 Limited that arrived here yesterday. This is a limited series that was produced only for the japanese market, and in a very few quantity it seems. It was in great shape, mint condition, in the original box and everything. It looks that the camera was never used, or used only very, very few. But, after I put some fresh CR2 batteries and make some test shots, I realized the viewfinder turned black. So I took the lens off and saw that the mirror was stuck in the middle. It wasnt stuck up in the foam or down. It is just above the middle, maybe 1,5 cm from the top.

The camera still shoots If i press the shutter release. The mirror goes up and then stops again in the position described above.

The picture below shows what I'm talking about:

I know this model has the mirror motor problems, but I read somewhere that the Limited version had a brass gear and not a plastic gear motor anymore. Can someone confirm that? Or this is not the problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by rgimenes; 09-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.
09-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hello I used several MZ5 MZ5N and MZ3 cameras as far as I know the mirror lift problem was only solved in the latter MZ6/L, the cure is to have the motor with the plastic cog to be replaced with one having a brass cog, the tell tale signs of cog failure are the mirror in the position, of yours' and a whining noise when the shutter is released, the motor is turning but unable to effect a movement hence the whining, best call the repair centre.
05-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
Hello I used several MZ5 MZ5N and MZ3 cameras as far as I know the mirror lift problem was only solved in the latter MZ6/L, the cure is to have the motor with the plastic cog to be replaced with one having a brass cog, the tell tale signs of cog failure are the mirror in the position, of yours' and a whining noise when the shutter is released, the motor is turning but unable to effect a movement hence the whining, best call the repair centre.

Is it worth repairing? Or better to scrap and buy one that does work? Mine was gifted to me. The mirror is at the correct angle but shutter won't release. So im assuming mine is also a motor issue.