Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, 35mm is much better than the 28mm! but still not as good as the 50mm!
Maybe 40mm would be a better choice!

09-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Which 35mm lens do you already have? They do not all have the same amount of distortion. If you are planning on buying a new one, look at reviews.
And the 40mm lens is a good recommendation, too. It comes as SMC or HD (HD is newer and more expensive), which can be found used for a very good price. Even cheaper is the XS version, which is optically identical, but doesn't have quickshift, distance scales, hood.
09-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I call it the 'big nose effect'. Most devastating are the wide angle shots with legs and arms that can be much closer to the camera than a nose... makes arms and thighs look large...
Well, you know what they say about people with big hands....
09-04-2014, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Warm hearts The one that confuses me is 'small feet' :^|
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Well, you know what they say about people with big hands....

09-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kangamel Quote
Thanks everyone,

thanks Na Horuk, that is exactly what I was asking, although all the answers have been informative. I have a F 28mm f2.8 and I also have a 50mm, one is a bit hard on faces the other doesn't fit enough in the frame for my use, maybe 35mm is worth a try next.
The da 40 is a great little portrait lens. It's just a touch narrower than your standard prime, but the bokeh and sharpness are fantastic. The 'm' version however, has the sharpness, but not the bokeh.

The da40 manages to be a good standard prime as well, so it is something you can walk around with all day and never be left wanting. (The autofocus is also accurate and fast, which makes it a very respectable low light lens if your hand is steady).

I think the fa43 would be better for portraits, and the da35 macro better for just generally being good in every situation (apart from its occasionally sluggish autofocus).

The best lens for portraits I've used however, is the fa77. The focal length is a pita (unless you are shooting landscapes, strangely), but once you see what it can do, you'll soon adjust your shooting style to the lens (and I suspect the same is true of the da70, although I've not used one myself. It's on my Christmas wish list!)
09-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have ended up to like the 77
When I travel, I take pictures of parts of buildings and things
There are too many people around for wide pictures :^)
So, I like it both focal length and speed.
It is kinda like a 105 on FF... they used to make those..
09-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bought a kx a couple of years ago, with the DA 18-55, thinking that would make me happy in camera land. Bahahaa
Within a week I picked up a DA 50-200 which is perfect for frame filling head shots, it has taken some of my favorite photos, so for classic portrait shots I am covered.
Next I got a SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, found I was crap at manual focus and a moving target, so I got the auto version, FA 50 1.4, it's boring and too narrow for indoors, and can't get the family in the frame, so I bought a F 28mm f2.8 and it is my favourite lens.

All the raving about the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 sucked me in and I bought that, I don't enjoy using at all, it's big and ugly, and I feel rude pointing it at people, and when I put it on my camera for a while, that becomes a while when I no longer pick up my camera.

Umm, also a few other thrifted bits and pieces.

I have aquired lenses faster than skills. I have a collection of lenses, and I don't want to collect lenses ( well philosophically I don't, in actuality I seem to very much enjoy it, but enough!

It is a kinda sickness, I caught it from you people, you can't help me!

YES of course the 40 mm, I had forgotten about wanting that one too, thanks for the reminder

I want to part with all these lenses except the 2 kit lenses and the manual 50mm f1.4 and the other lens, the one I am trying to decide on, will be my perfect all purpose prime. Yep.

I am looking for a prime to stick on my camera that I love using, that is fun, that makes me want to use my camera, that encourages me to improve my skills instead of just playing around changing lenses. I like small and light and inconspicuous, like the kx.

So 28, 35, or 40, but I am a bit worried I am going to end up with all three but if I am going to have 3 primes, I don't want them at 28, 35, 40 and 50!!! That's 4!!! Hahaha I am going away, please don't help me anymore lovely Pentax Forum people.

09-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

LBA is a killer

I bought a kx a couple of years ago, with the DA 18-55, thinking that would make me happy in camera land. Bahahaa
Within a week I picked up a DA 50-200 which is perfect for frame filling head shots, it has taken some of my favorite photos, so for classic portrait shots I am covered.
Next I got a SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, found I was crap at manual focus and a moving target, so I got the auto version, FA 50 1.4, it's boring and too narrow for indoors, and can't get the family in the frame, so I bought a F 28mm f2.8 and it is my favourite lens.

All the raving about the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 sucked me in and I bought that, I don't enjoy using at all, it's big and ugly, and I feel rude pointing it at people, and when I put it on my camera for a while, that becomes a while when I no longer pick up my camera.

Umm, also a few other thrifted bits and pieces.

I have aquired lenses faster than skills. I have a collection of lenses, and I don't want to collect lenses ( well philosophically I don't, in actuality I seem to very much enjoy it, but enough!

It is a kinda sickness, I caught it from you people, you can't help me!

YES of course the 40 mm, I had forgotten about wanting that one too, thanks for the reminder

I want to part with all these lenses except the 2 kit lenses and the manual 50mm f1.4 and the other lens, the one I am trying to decide on, will be my perfect all purpose prime. Yep.

I am looking for a prime to stick on my camera that I love using, that is fun, that makes me want to use my camera, that encourages me to improve my skills instead of just playing around changing lenses. I like small and light and inconspicuous, like the kx.

So 28, 35, or 40, but I am a bit worried I am going to end up with all three but if I am going to have 3 primes, I don't want them at 28, 35, 40 and 50!!! That's 4!!! Hahaha I am going away, please don't help me anymore lovely Pentax Forum people.
Can I tighten the screws on your dilemma and suggest the fabled SMC Pentax 43mm f1.9? Colours are simply stunning and bokeh very appealing. Low light performance (inside) without need for flash.

I adore that lens, but, I probably adore the Super Takumar 85mm f1.9 even more - that lens is a real performer when it comes to portraits.
09-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
bahaha, yes Wild Mark the 43mm Limited looks nice too, at least no one has suggested 31mm
09-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

bahaha, yes Wild Mark the 43mm Limited looks nice too, at least no one has suggested 31mm
I refrained from suggesting that gem. to be honest it is not a lens for the task you have in mind. The 43mm on the other hand is really small - it does not intimidate the subject and yet does not compromise on quality.

Well worth the though.

Mark
09-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

@kamgamel: Why don't you carry your 55-200mm lens around with you and make a quick lens swap when it's time for portraits? Do you strictly only shoot indoors in tight spaces?
09-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just bought a DA 35mm f2.8 limited Macro from the auction site, not a portrait lens, but not as wide as my 28mm and the macro looks brilliant, even if I don't find it a better length than my 28. a happy ending, squee
09-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I just bought a DA 35mm f2.8 limited Macro from the auction site, not a portrait lens, but not as wide as my 28mm and the macro looks brilliant, even if I don't find it a better length than my 28. a happy ending, squee
That's a fantastic lens, I love mine.
09-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
DA 35mm Macro Limited lens is here, I really hope I like the 35 focal length more than the 28, because I need to give one of these lenses up, and it's not going to be the 35