Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

Battery Life Issue k-50

I got my k50 in feburary and have absolutely loved it. The original batteries (energizer) I had on it lasted me until around late may with weekly use. As soon as I started replacing the batteries the life has gone dramatically down hill. I went backpacking over labor day weekend and the fresh batteries I put in it were dead over night with no use of the camera at all. They were off brand so I assumed it had something to do with that so I picked up some Duracell's and they lasted a bit longer (around 2-3 days) with minimal shooting. Has anybody had this issue? I'm very concerned that I will basically have to switch my batteries out daily in order to get any use out of my camera.

09-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you're talking about AA batteries used in the adapter, and not the D-LI109 lithium-ion rechargeable.

In my K-50, I use Eneloop or Energizer Recharge rechargeables.
After a couple of recharge/discharge cycles,
these batteries last a long time.

As I mentioned in my review of the K-50, the oldest one on the review page
Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
I have the LCD turned off most of the time.
A set of batteries is then good for hundreds of photographs,
or will stay charged for several weeks.
09-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Get a set or two of Eneloops. Best investment I ever made. I have several sets I used in my k-x years ago, still going strong.
09-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

Just a comment on Eneloops ... recently I heard a story that Sanyo sold the rights to the Eneloop name to Panasonic. Panasonic now makes "Eneloops" in a factory in China (so they may or may not be exactly the same as the original made in Japan Sanyo Eneloops.
Apparently Fujitsu bought the Sanyo factory in Japan and now makes "Fujitsu Rechargeable" batteries there.
There is conjecture that the closest thing to the orginal Sanyo Eneloops might be these Fujitsu ones.
Anyone else heard this?

Last edited by johngs; 09-04-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: error
09-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Just a comment on Eneloops ... recently I heard a story that Sanyo sold the rights to the Eneloop name to Panasonic. Panasonic now makes "Eneloops" in a factory in China (so they may or may not be exactly the same as the original made in Japan Sanyo Eneloops.
Apparently Fujitsu bought the Sanyo factory in Japan and now makes "Fujitsu Rechargeable" batteries there.
There is conjecture that the closest thing to the orginal Sanyo Eneloops might be these Fujitsu ones.
Interesting.

I wonder if the Energizer Recharges are still made in Japan.
09-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
ust a comment on Eneloops ... recently I heard a story that Sanyo sold the rights to the Eneloop name to Panasonic. Panasonic now makes "Eneloops" in a factory in China (so they may or may not be exactly the same as the original made in Japan Sanyo Eneloops.
The Wikipedia article on Eneloops is a good reference regarding product generations and performance characteristics. If you are picky about this sort of thing, it may be good to know the product numbers for the batteries you are buying. There is a fair amount of inventory out there that was made several years ago.

Eneloop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-04-2014 at 08:51 PM.