Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Problems

I just got it.

I am already having trouble with the FLU card.
I updated the firmware to 1.1.1 I put in the FLU card and receive the message Memory Card Error "2"
I went to the Wireless setting and it says "No Wireless Card in Memory Slot 2"

I am sorry, but this is a little ridiculous. Paying this much money and having problems like this is not acceptable. Pentax needs to get their s**t together.
From what I have read and seen, it is a great camera. I just have a bad taste in my mouth right off the get go.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 03:14 PM ----------

I can't even get the card to read on my Mac using a card reader.

Are they junk?

Last edited by bluebronco; 09-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.
09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I am sorry, but this is a little ridiculous. Paying this much money and having problems like this is not acceptable. Pentax needs to get their shit together. From what I have read and seen, it is a great camera. I just have a bad taste in my mouth right off the get go.
Seems a bit harsh?

Are you having issues with the camera or the FLU Card? Does the camera function OK except for the card?

I can't even get the card to read on my Mac using a card reader.
So maybe the FLU Card is defective? If it does not work in the camera or the computer?

Does the camera recognize a regular SD card in that slot?
Oh, and make sure you have the FLU card in Slot 2, I always get the slots reversed I think they are numbered counter-intuitively
And I'm sure you checked but just in case do other SD cards work in your computer? Modern ones. I have seen problems where older SD cards work just fine then the user gets a new one and the reader needs new drivers or firmware to see the new card.
09-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Pentax has their name on the card. That means they approve it for use. I can't imagine a company would put out a product that has this many problems and hiccups (search for FLU card).
I think they should have put wireless tech in the camera. I would have paid more. Don't rely on a 3rd party card. Just saying.

The camera is great.
It does recognize my sandisk cards. I tried the FLU card in both slots. I took images off the Sandisk card on the same computer/reader.
09-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Although manufacturing processes make failures a rarity, it can happen.
It sounds like you got a bad card if it cannot be read on the camera nor on your computer.

Can you contact your reseller and do an exchange on the card?
If nothing else, you can also call Pentax support. I have called them several times for various issues and for all but once, they have been quite helpful.

FYI, agreed... I would have paid extra for built-in wireless capability that combines Flu-Card style tethering and Eye-Fi style transfers. (I would have paid quite a bit extra).

09-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the camera recognize the card as an SD card in slot 1 or slot 2? Can you save pictures to it? If not sounds like you got a defective FLU Card.

You might want to try support live chat: Using Flucard for PENTAX with K-3 Q&A - Part 1 | Ricoh Imaging Support
09-04-2014, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has their name on the card. That means they approve it for use. I can't imagine a company would put out a product that has this many problems and hiccups (search for FLU card).
I think they should have put wireless tech in the camera. I would have paid more. Don't rely on a 3rd party card. Just saying.

The camera is great.
It does recognize my sandisk cards. I tried the FLU card in both slots. I took images off the Sandisk card on the same computer/reader.
So, what is the problem you want the members here to troubleshoot?

If the FLU card is bad (appears to be true), the answer is simple. Send it back for a replacement or refund.

If the camera is bad (appears to not be true), the answer is simple. Send it back for a replacement or refund.

If you just want to rant, the answer is simple. Contact Ricoh via their online form and give them the best you have got. Here is the link:
Ricoh Imaging Support
They will respond promptly and are generally very polite and sympathetic.

If you think you might have something mis-configured, the answer may not be simple, but this section of Pentax Forums is a great place to post for help...minus the rant. The extra text is just noise in the channel.

See? The answer is simple for 3 of 4 cases! For the first two cases, the vendor that sold you the FLU/camera is your best resource. With most merchants, you will get a replacement at no additional cost to you. A refund will cost you return shipping.

Steve
09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As always, the best course of action is to check the forum to see if a similar thread exists. Could be that somebody ran into this and solved the problem. Meanwhile, try a camera reset. This is my go to first action after a firmware update if something stops working.

Jack
09-04-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
I contacted BH and they are replacing the card.
If anyone has any suggestions for settings, I would like to try them out.

Thanks

09-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

I had the same problem with my FLUcard when I got my K-3. B&H replaced it and it works fine now.
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #10

Flu Cards

Please note that there is the "Pentax" Flu card and there are the generic flu cards.
Do you have the right one?
I made the mistake of purchasing the generic card instead of the Pentax-specific one.

I hope this helps.

mekiAus
09-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mekiAus Quote
Please note that there is the "Pentax" Flu card and there are the generic flu cards.
Do you have the right one?
I made the mistake of purchasing the generic card instead of the Pentax-specific one.

I hope this helps.

mekiAus
The OP said that "Pentax" is printed on the card .... so ...
09-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I updated the firmware to 1.1.1
Isn't the latest flucard firmware V00.01.00.01 for card and V00.01.00.02 for contents?

Are you sure you've updated the card firmware with the right thing? Where did you get the update from? Dumping some odd firmware into a card is probably not the best way to keep it working
09-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Isn't the latest flucard firmware V00.01.00.01 for card and V00.01.00.02 for contents?
For K-3/FluCard users there are two current updates available, one for camera and one for card:

I believe that the OP udated his camera firmware to ver. 1.11. The FluCard update only appears to have been released yesterday (4 September) according to the RICOH Support Page - and it is mostly for K-S1 and 645z users and shouldn't really be needed for K-3 users (although there is a hint of "improved stability of performance").

I am still with ver. 1.10 in my K-3. I guess I will update to ver. 1.11 in the very near future, but so far I have only had one FluCard stability issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/271871...ard-bug-s.html

- which I have now come to believe must have been an issue with static electricity (after a thunder strom).

Last edited by Stone G.; 09-05-2014 at 12:52 AM.
09-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
For K-3/FluCard users there are two current updates available, one for camera and one for card:

I believe that the OP udated his camera firmware to ver. 1.11. The FluCard update only appears to have been released yesterday (4 September) according to the RICOH Support Page - and it is mostly for K-S1 and 645z users and shouldn't really be needed for K-3 users (although there is a hint of "improved stability of performance").

I am still with ver. 1.10 in my K-3. I guess I will update to ver. 1.11 in the very near future, but so far I have only had one FluCard stability issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/271871...ard-bug-s.html

- which I have now come to believe must have been an issue with static electricity (after a thunder strom).
See this recent post: Pentax FluCard Firmware Update - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Specifically this part: "Following the first firmware update, many Pentax K-3 users on our forum reported sudden compatibility issues with various devices. We have not yet verified whether or not this update has resolved these issues."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-flucard-firmware-upd...#ixzz3CTftlyXL