Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
bluebronco's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 170
K-3 Problems

I just got it.

I am already having trouble with the FLU card.
I updated the firmware to 1.1.1 I put in the FLU card and receive the message Memory Card Error "2"
I went to the Wireless setting and it says "No Wireless Card in Memory Slot 2"

I am sorry, but this is a little ridiculous. Paying this much money and having problems like this is not acceptable. Pentax needs to get their s**t together.
From what I have read and seen, it is a great camera. I just have a bad taste in my mouth right off the get go.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 03:14 PM ----------

I can't even get the card to read on my Mac using a card reader.

Are they junk?


Last edited by bluebronco; 09-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.
09-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,829
QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I am sorry, but this is a little ridiculous. Paying this much money and having problems like this is not acceptable. Pentax needs to get their shit together. From what I have read and seen, it is a great camera. I just have a bad taste in my mouth right off the get go.
Seems a bit harsh?

Are you having issues with the camera or the FLU Card? Does the camera function OK except for the card?

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I can't even get the card to read on my Mac using a card reader.
So maybe the FLU Card is defective? If it does not work in the camera or the computer?

Does the camera recognize a regular SD card in that slot?
Oh, and make sure you have the FLU card in Slot 2, I always get the slots reversed I think they are numbered counter-intuitively
And I'm sure you checked but just in case do other SD cards work in your computer? Modern ones. I have seen problems where older SD cards work just fine then the user gets a new one and the reader needs new drivers or firmware to see the new card.
09-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
bluebronco's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 170
Original Poster
Pentax has their name on the card. That means they approve it for use. I can't imagine a company would put out a product that has this many problems and hiccups (search for FLU card).
I think they should have put wireless tech in the camera. I would have paid more. Don't rely on a 3rd party card. Just saying.

The camera is great.
It does recognize my sandisk cards. I tried the FLU card in both slots. I took images off the Sandisk card on the same computer/reader.
09-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,439
Although manufacturing processes make failures a rarity, it can happen.
It sounds like you got a bad card if it cannot be read on the camera nor on your computer.

Can you contact your reseller and do an exchange on the card?
If nothing else, you can also call Pentax support. I have called them several times for various issues and for all but once, they have been quite helpful.


FYI, agreed... I would have paid extra for built-in wireless capability that combines Flu-Card style tethering and Eye-Fi style transfers. (I would have paid quite a bit extra).

09-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,829
Does the camera recognize the card as an SD card in slot 1 or slot 2? Can you save pictures to it? If not sounds like you got a defective FLU Card.

You might want to try support live chat: Using Flucard for PENTAX with K-3 Q&A - Part 1 | Ricoh Imaging Support
09-04-2014, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,698
QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
Pentax has their name on the card. That means they approve it for use. I can't imagine a company would put out a product that has this many problems and hiccups (search for FLU card).
I think they should have put wireless tech in the camera. I would have paid more. Don't rely on a 3rd party card. Just saying.

The camera is great.
It does recognize my sandisk cards. I tried the FLU card in both slots. I took images off the Sandisk card on the same computer/reader.
So, what is the problem you want the members here to troubleshoot?

If the FLU card is bad (appears to be true), the answer is simple. Send it back for a replacement or refund.

If the camera is bad (appears to not be true), the answer is simple. Send it back for a replacement or refund.

If you just want to rant, the answer is simple. Contact Ricoh via their online form and give them the best you have got. Here is the link:
Ricoh Imaging Support
They will respond promptly and are generally very polite and sympathetic.

If you think you might have something mis-configured, the answer may not be simple, but this section of Pentax Forums is a great place to post for help...minus the rant. The extra text is just noise in the channel.

See? The answer is simple for 3 of 4 cases! For the first two cases, the vendor that sold you the FLU/camera is your best resource. With most merchants, you will get a replacement at no additional cost to you. A refund will cost you return shipping.


Steve
09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,362
As always, the best course of action is to check the forum to see if a similar thread exists. Could be that somebody ran into this and solved the problem. Meanwhile, try a camera reset. This is my go to first action after a firmware update if something stops working.

Jack
09-04-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Member
bluebronco's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 170
Original Poster
I contacted BH and they are replacing the card.
If anyone has any suggestions for settings, I would like to try them out.

Thanks

09-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Forum Member
chrisb3's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 67
I had the same problem with my FLUcard when I got my K-3. B&H replaced it and it works fine now.
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Narellan Vale
Posts: 14
Flu Cards

Please note that there is the "Pentax" Flu card and there are the generic flu cards.
Do you have the right one?
I made the mistake of purchasing the generic card instead of the Pentax-specific one.

I hope this helps.

mekiAus
09-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,295
QuoteOriginally posted by mekiAus Quote
Please note that there is the "Pentax" Flu card and there are the generic flu cards.
Do you have the right one?
I made the mistake of purchasing the generic card instead of the Pentax-specific one.

I hope this helps.

mekiAus
The OP said that "Pentax" is printed on the card .... so ...
09-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian
fgaudet's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 726
QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I updated the firmware to 1.1.1
Isn't the latest flucard firmware V00.01.00.01 for card and V00.01.00.02 for contents?

Are you sure you've updated the card firmware with the right thing? Where did you get the update from? Dumping some odd firmware into a card is probably not the best way to keep it working
09-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Stone G.'s Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,516
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Isn't the latest flucard firmware V00.01.00.01 for card and V00.01.00.02 for contents?
For K-3/FluCard users there are two current updates available, one for camera and one for card:


I believe that the OP udated his camera firmware to ver. 1.11. The FluCard update only appears to have been released yesterday (4 September) according to the RICOH Support Page - and it is mostly for K-S1 and 645z users and shouldn't really be needed for K-3 users (although there is a hint of "improved stability of performance").

I am still with ver. 1.10 in my K-3. I guess I will update to ver. 1.11 in the very near future, but so far I have only had one FluCard stability issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/271871...ard-bug-s.html

- which I have now come to believe must have been an issue with static electricity (after a thunder strom).

Last edited by Stone G.; 09-05-2014 at 12:52 AM.
09-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,709
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
For K-3/FluCard users there are two current updates available, one for camera and one for card:


I believe that the OP udated his camera firmware to ver. 1.11. The FluCard update only appears to have been released yesterday (4 September) according to the RICOH Support Page - and it is mostly for K-S1 and 645z users and shouldn't really be needed for K-3 users (although there is a hint of "improved stability of performance").

I am still with ver. 1.10 in my K-3. I guess I will update to ver. 1.11 in the very near future, but so far I have only had one FluCard stability issue:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/271871...ard-bug-s.html

- which I have now come to believe must have been an issue with static electricity (after a thunder strom).
See this recent post: Pentax FluCard Firmware Update - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Specifically this part: "Following the first firmware update, many Pentax K-3 users on our forum reported sudden compatibility issues with various devices. We have not yet verified whether or not this update has resolved these issues."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-flucard-firmware-upd...#ixzz3CTftlyXL
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, flu, memory, pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Focusingscreens.com EE-S Screen for K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50 & K-500 Aperturae Sold Items 6 10-06-2014 06:49 AM
Pentax K-3 autofocus problems CindyV Pentax K-3 55 04-30-2014 03:59 PM
For Sale - Sold: KatzEye Split-Prism Focusing Screen - for K-3, K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50 & K-500 chickentender Sold Items 7 04-15-2014 08:35 PM
A tale of 3 sensors K-3/K-01/K-7 Painter Pentax K-3 21 11-16-2013 09:38 PM
Takumar 200 3.5 problems Nikonshooter Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-01-2013 09:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top