Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 18-135mm WR - focusing problem

My friend's K-30 and DA 18-135mm WR got splashed (a lot) with sea water. As a result, the camera is pretty much dead, but the lens however, is in much better shape. You can read more about the camera, the incident and other things related here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/264265-k-30-service-manual.html
I decided to start a thread just for the lens to separate the issues at hand (I have the lens in my possession).

About the lens, there is a problem, and I assume it's due to the salt.
The lens will not (never) lock the focus in the 130-135 mm range of the zoom. The DC motor just goes back and forth without ever locking. (the 130-135mm is an estimate) At any focal length below that, the lens performs absolutely fine. I would really like to fix that, but I have no idea what could be causing that. Does any of you have an idea for me?
I tried using the quick shift option, and even if I put the camera it what appears to be the exact point of focus, if I press the autofocus button, the lens just starts to hunt again...

thank you all for your help!

09-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone have an idea of something to try?
09-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sure, contact Precision Camera the new authorized pentax service center and get a qoute to have it fixed. The older manual lenses are fairly easy to work on and get junk lenses for parts. The new ones you can't get the parts nor the schematics to know how to work on them.
09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the better way is to send it for repair for sure - I didn't know precision camera was the authorized Pentax Service center, thx for that (I think the nearest center they have from Montreal is Toronto, which wouldn't be that bad).

However, I was hoping a "techy" member might have some idea for me to try on the lens? I tried it on 2 different body, cleaned the contacts, but maybe there is another obvious thing to try before sending it in for repair? - or maybe not!

09-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Yeah, the better way is to send it for repair for sure - I didn't know precision camera was the authorized Pentax Service center, thx for that (I think the nearest center they have from Montreal is Toronto, which wouldn't be that bad).

However, I was hoping a "techy" member might have some idea for me to try on the lens? I tried it on 2 different body, cleaned the contacts, but maybe there is another obvious thing to try before sending it in for repair? - or maybe not!
I would call Ricoh Repair information in Canada first. Here in the US it changed to Precision Camera this month.