Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Optical or digital preview

I would like to assign my raw/fx button to optical or digital preview. Whic one is more practical to use. Or, is there a better use for this button?

09-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OPtical.
09-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

I find optical preview more helpful. You can see the changes right in the viewfinder. If you use Liveview alot (e.g. for Macro work), then go digital.
Remember though that the optical preview is a bit misleading with fast aperture settings. (Actually the whole viewfinder, due to the mirror I have been told)
09-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm, if I am using liveview, I don't feel the need to use digital preview.

I have a K5 and the on/off switch is set for 'digital preview'.
I am not sure how the K3 works; does it not allow the shutter button to also do either digital or optical preview? If so, perhaps you could have both easily available with shutter button and this Fx button

Anyway, I use digital preview because it is nice be able to check exposure without writing a file to the card. If you often take a picture to check histogram or something, this digital preview will prevent you having to delete those files later. That's nice. If you don't often take pictures to check exposure, digital preview may be of less use.

Optical preview is nice as well. I guess I don't really get much from it. For not close distance things, it is really hard for me to judge a depth of field. I can see changes in a gross way, of course, but not really tell when softness begins. If I am really concerned, I will review an image I have taken... Most of the stuff I take pictures of is not moving much..

For K5, I have found that when I have the mirror locked up and I do the little on/off switch swipe for my digital preview, I get optical preview instead. This is okay. I can chimp to set exposure, lock mirror, then play with the optical preview. I am not suggesting that as a solution but just a behavior I have noted. I might lock the mirror up when I am fooling with a long exposure or something so, practically, this behavior doesn't benefit me often.

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 12:31 PM ----------

As far as optical preview being misleading at larger apertures (when it could be most useful!) is due to the focusing screen, I think, rather than the mirror. I think the focusing screen resolves to f/2.8 or so. Not really sure about the exact f-stop..

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 12:32 PM ----------

plus, when i wrote 'shutter button' in the second paragraph, i meant 'of/off switch'

09-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
I would like to assign my raw/fx button to optical or digital preview. Whic one is more practical to use. Or, is there a better use for this button?
You are using a K10D? Then you have optical preview on the on/off switch (past the "on" position). I never saw the point of digital preview - I just take a picture and review it.

If you use a tripod it could be useful to assign Composition Adjustment to the Fx button. And I know some like to have easy access to bracketing. It's really a matter of finding out what works for you.

(I have assigned SR on/off to mine, but that's because I have a camera without a dedicated SR switch )
09-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You are using a K10D? Then you have optical preview on the on/off switch (past the "on" position). I never saw the point of digital preview - I just take a picture and review it.
I kinda like digital preview. It accomplishes all this for me:

1. Take a test picture
2. Enter playback
3. Delete the test picture again (delete - up arrow - ok)
4. Exit playback

I don't like optical preview, because modern AF-tailored viewfinders don't really let you assess DOF anyway.
It's a good thing we can all have the kind of preview we like

Regards,
--Anders.

Last edited by asp1880; 09-08-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: whitespace
09-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do the SR thing by using the INFO button
Not as quick as on the Fx button, but the SR switch remains highlighted.. the INFO button remembers the last thing I selected and that is always SR so button+rotate dial.

I have Fx button set for bracketing because I thought I would use that a lot but it has become an easy shortcut to mirror up or 2-sec timer or wgatever as well. I typically have focus point select enabled so having drive mode on Fx prevents me having to enable 4-way controller, selecy drive mode, turn focus point selection back on...

...(I have assigned SR on/off to mine, but that's because I have a camera without a dedicated SR switch )

09-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I kinda like digital preview. It accomplishes all this for me:

1. Take a test picture
2. Enter playback
3. Delete the test picture again (delete - up arrow - ok)
4. Exit playback

I don't like optical preview, because modern AF-tailored viewfinders don't really let you assess DOF anyway.
It's a good thing we can all have the kind of preview we like
Exactly

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I do the SR thing by using the INFO button
Not as quick as on the Fx button, but the SR switch remains highlighted.. the INFO button remembers the last thing I selected and that is always SR so button+rotate dial.

I have Fx button set for bracketing because I thought I would use that a lot but it has become an easy shortcut to mirror up or 2-sec timer or wgatever as well. I typically have focus point select enabled so having drive mode on Fx prevents me having to enable 4-way controller, selecy drive mode, turn focus point selection back on...
All good points. But one of the things I do not like at all with the K-3 is that I have to confirm the "display off" option every time I leave the INFO page. Annoying. So SR on Fx for me.

But again, what Anders said above is still true; customization is good!
09-08-2014, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

But one of the things I do not like at all with the K-3 is that I have to confirm the "display off" option every time I leave the INFO page.
Leave the INFO page using the menu button. That works like we're used to on the K-5.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Leave the INFO page using the menu button. That works like we're used to on the K-5.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip!
09-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I was unhappy to hear there is a 'confirm button' for leaving INFO menu with K3
May be hope, now. I use K5 and I don't use 'menu' button to leave... I just press the shutter button. Either way, it is still a button press, but I usually change SR on/off when I need it and am taking a picture.

Maybe K3 cancels the info Menu with shutter half press ?

Regards,
--Anders.
09-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I was unhappy to hear there is a 'confirm button' for leaving INFO menu with K3
May be hope, now. I use K5 and I don't use 'menu' button to leave... I just press the shutter button. Either way, it is still a button press, but I usually change SR on/off when I need it and am taking a picture.

Maybe K3 cancels the info Menu with shutter half press ?
Half press works, too. Two things learnt today

That said, I don't really use the info menu a lot.