Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has been dropped a couple times, and the 55-300 took the impact - twice. You'll notice right away if the lens has been damaged. Whether images are messed up or the mechanics are broken.

The camera probably is OK, but use it in various modes, try your flashes etc. just to make sure it all works.

09-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
Forum Member

I know this isn't helping much, but I have never dropped a camera in over 30 years. I always use a strap. I even wrap a strap around my arm when I take pics without it hanging on my neck.
09-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Oh yea Pentax bodies really are tough. I know from experience. If you dropped your K-01 that's even better, it is probably stronger because it has few moving parts. It lacks the very prices alignments of mirror to AF module to EV module. In other words there is little to damage in that body. I would not worry at all. If its OK, its OK! Not to say the mirrored bodied dSLR are not tough as well, they are very tough. A dSLR is a complex sort of expensive precision tool. It can be broken. But it all depends on the lens, and you know just so many factors. Have fun with your camera which ever it is! Forget about the fall.
I can definitely confirm that with my own experience !
I had my K-01 hanging on my shoulder,when approaching the house, I reached to the pocked of my jacked that was overhanging my forearm ( the one on which shoulder I had my K-01 hanging on) - sadly the shoulder strap slipped and the camera fell around 1m (~3 feet) onto the concrete.. I was devastated! I had just got my new-to-me Sigma 24mm f2.8 back then and it was mounted on the camera. It fell hard, right onto the lens cap - the whole camera bounced from that and fell back on to the concrete - this time hitting the corner of a base plate. I was 100% sure that the lens was cooked - and perhaps even the camera (that I had for like 2 months or so)... My hands were shaking and I couldn't open the house :P
Inside a quick check - the camera worked!! Lens was focusing as previously, only lens cap got scratched badly and pushed deep inside the filter thread. The lens itself was like new - intact !! It turned I had it on the infinity setting so the focusing barrel was sitting tight and deeply recessed inside the body. The camera had only small 3 mm mark at one of the corners , which already got nearly worn off from handling ..

It was a horrifying experience, but today, ~ 2 years later both lens and the camera are working perfectly with not a single issue - so I can testify that durability of this camera is REALLY good! I never expected it to be this tough !

Last edited by manntax; 09-22-2014 at 06:43 AM.
09-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schick Quote
I know this isn't helping much, but I have never dropped a camera in over 30 years. I always use a strap. I even wrap a strap around my arm when I take pics without it hanging on my neck.
Same here. I always put the strap around my neck for even a quick trip out on the deck. While on the tripod I wrap the strap around the tripod, in case something happens with the connection between camera/tripod.

I surely hope the OP's equipment survived both falls!

09-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's on a table and not in my hands that my cameras are at risk. I've never drop it from my hands and never wear a strap. Laying around on tables are dangerous.
09-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First drop was off a table that got bumped. My fault.
Second (and third) drop was me being pulled over/tripped by 250lbs worth of 3 dogs (two huskies and a malamute) enraged by a deer chasing us. The malamute eventually got free and chased the deer away. I was tempted to just let the dogs go on purpose after the deer chased us 50 yards. Eventually the dogs wrapped the leashes around my legs and I fell. It was after that the Mal wrenched out of his collar.

Even a nice secure sling strap didn't stop that.