Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Just dropped my camera, lens first, about 5 feet

Onto carpet. Everything seems fine, not seeing any physical damage to the camera or lens, but I'm a bit concerned because 5 feet is no small drop for electronics, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Is there anything I should look for? The lens was my 35-70mm F zoom.

Here are some out of camera jpegs taken after the camera was dropped.
http://i.imgur.com/cmeieQ4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aqmwtDb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jhPYr3w.jpg

The flower was manual focus, the 2 dog photos were auto (I think).

09-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it works it works. Check the lens for function, zoom, manual focus. Check to see if there is any wobble in the lens, might be some that is normal, but excessive might be concern.

I had my k-3 flip over while on the tripod with no ill affect. Except causing near heart failure.
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Check to see if there is any wobble in the lens, might be some that is normal, but excessive might be concern.
What do you mean by this?
09-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of my K-5's fell from a table onto wooden floor but no damage found even a long time after. My brother dropped his on a bunch of rocks and scratches is the only thing to show for it. If you don't find anything wrong it's most likely fine, they are made to be tough.

09-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Looks like to me from the images posted you've got away with it this time, but that doesn't mean making a habit of it.
09-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What do you mean by this?
I have seen the front barrel portion of the lens 'wobble' when it is damaged. Zoom all the way out, barrel extended the furthest, gently wiggle the front of the lens barrel. If it feels fine, you are good. If it can be moved significantly it might be a sign of damage. Some wobble is normal. What is normal differs from lens to lens.

I did not mean to alarm you and if the zoom and focus functions work I would not worry over much about it. I have had lenses, (not Pentax) that took a hit and ended up cocked to one side off the track so to speak. I managed to just pop it back on but it looked ugly at the time.
09-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Based on the photos, I'd say other than meter being fooled by the predominately white areas and underexposing the images, they look perfectly fine.

09-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree looks ok - look like you have got away with it.
I do know that Pentax makes pretty solid cameras. Over 3 years ago I had my K-x rattle out of my back pack on to a concrete floor and its still going strong.
09-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Onto carpet
I've come to appreciate carpet--it's way better than marble when it comes to lens dropping.
09-10-2014, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10

I forgot my k-r on the car hood and it was blown at ~100km/h. It fell harshly on the asphalt between lanes. Lens (Tamron 18-200) was broken. Camera was fine (!!!) except AF Points in viewfinder are not highlighted now (like in k-x). I still use it.
My wife was really impressed by Pentax durability. That is why I bought K-5IIs
09-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well unluckily for me I dropped my camera yet again from a smaller hight, onto a softer surface (clothes) and now the focus ring is completely frozen, will not move a budge.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 07:33 AM ----------

I think something is crooked/bent since it's harder to zoom it in and out too.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 08:02 AM ----------

Ok so I managed to fix it by snapping the barrel back into position.

I think this lens is cursed with me dropping the camera, or maybe I'm just a serious clutz ._.
09-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had my K-30 with 55-300mm (non-WR) on it while hopping across rocks in a small stream. Slipped, and partially dunked everything for a split second, may have knocked it on a rock but it happened too fast to really tell.

Camera is perfectly fine. Dried out the lens and I think it's fine, but I've been fretting over it for a few weeks. Been taking test shots after I thought some pictures of the kids' soccer game looked blurry with weird bokeh. I'm 90% convinced I'm just paranoid and the shutter speed was too slow for the 200-300mm shots I was taking. But it's still in the back of my mind...
09-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh yea Pentax bodies really are tough. I know from experience. If you dropped your K-01 that's even better, it is probably stronger because it has few moving parts. It lacks the very prices alignments of mirror to AF module to EV module. In other words there is little to damage in that body. I would not worry at all. If its OK, its OK!

Not to say the mirrored bodied dSLR are not tough as well, they are very tough. A dSLR is a complex sort of expensive precision tool. It can be broken. But it all depends on the lens, and you know just so many factors. Have fun with your camera which ever it is! Forget about the fall.
09-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If it works, don't fix it. These cameras can be tough. My k20 fell six feet onto cement and cracked the filter after the ring was bent and otherwise no problems, but later two feet onto tiles and the body was cracked ( still working perfectly ), but the 55-300 bejt something and could not focus. Both fixed now and well
09-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
One of my K-5's fell from a table onto wooden floor but no damage found even a long time after. My brother dropped his on a bunch of rocks and scratches is the only thing to show for it. If you don't find anything wrong it's most likely fine, they are made to be tough.

They might be built tough but one of the electrical boards inside the camera can still crack which is what happened to one of my cameras so I had to send it in. However mine fell on hard cement from about 3 feet.