Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Dust showing at longer exposures?

I just recently got a Pentax F 35-70 as an upgrade to the 18-55, and I've already had some dust/random obtrusion issues with this lens that I have already resolved. However when I took some long exposure shots tonight (30 seconds) at F8 the picture showed something very disturbing.

This dust would not disappear till I was at the largest aperature and the light would drain it out, though I never see it in normal shooting. Should I request a partial or full refund for this item?
http://i.imgur.com/PQxrpet.jpg

09-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is sensor dust, not a lens problem.
Get a rocket blower or look at other recommended ways of removing sensor dust.
Turn on the dust removal option on your camera if you don't have on yet.
09-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That is sensor dust, not a lens problem.
Get a rocket blower or look at other recommended ways of removing sensor dust.
Turn on the dust removal option on your camera if you don't have on yet.
I tried the dust removal option like 10 times and the dust didn't move :\
09-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rocket blower usually helps, if you haven't tried it do that first.

If it is stubborn then you may have to try a wet or sticky clean method.
I haven't done one those myself so do a search for recommended methods.

09-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The rocket blower usually helps, if you haven't tried it do that first.

If it is stubborn then you may have to try a wet or sticky clean method.
I haven't done one those myself so do a search for recommended methods.
I unfortunately don't have anything to clean the sensor besides the removal option in the camera... which I thought would be enough

I'll go find my 18-55 to make sure it is the sensor.

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 03:15 AM ----------

You're right, it's sensor dust. Looks like I have to get some supplies when I get paid -.-
09-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes those small round dark things look like sensor dust, same as I had last week. I used visibleDust sensor swabs ("Vswabs") and liquid to 'wash' the sensor, and eyelead sensor jelly ("Eyelead SCK-1") to finally grab and remove the more stubborn stuff.

Nobody should be afraid of doing this, it's really easy. Just set your cam on sensor cleaning, brush with liquid on the swabs and the liquid evaporates off. The eyelead is a jelly material on a stick, just touch the surface to take the stuff off. Neat and easy.

I do have an Arctic Butterfly too but it's not as good as the wet methods, it's basically just a fast vibrating brush relying on static charge to take the particles away.

Fwiw, do be aware thought that you may still have stuff showing after that - in my case a darker round area covering 1/10 of the whole photo. I found this out to be on the lens, disappeared when I cleaned the back element.

Last edited by Nass; 09-10-2014 at 01:30 AM.
09-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I unfortunately don't have anything to clean the sensor besides the removal option in the camera... which I thought would be enough
It's good enough for bigger pieces of dust, but not always those stubborn small ones that you only see at small apertures. You might want to get a professional cleaning if the rocket blower method doesn't work for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #8

I also used the visibleDust sensor swabs that Nass used, i have a K5II and a IstD and had this kind of dust on the sensor and was willing to try it on the IstD (one big and three smaller dusts that was in love with the sensor giving the same result as on your pic with good speed and aperture around F8 and smaller, fixed dusts on every pictures, unremovable with air flow).
Using this swab gently on the sensor with regular movement once with one side of the swab and another with the other side, it removed all the dusts perfectly.

Oh! Before, i also tried the Pentax cleaning kit and wasn't able to remove these particles with it.

Last edited by RichardB; 09-10-2014 at 03:14 AM.
09-10-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many, many threads on PF about sensor cleaning. If I can offer any advice, it's this: A rocket blower, used correctly, will remove sensor dust in 99% of cases. Before getting in there with cleaners and swabs and brushes and all the other "invasive' methods, simply get yourself a good rocket blower and see if that works for you. You need a rocket blower for your lenses anyway, so it's money well spent.
09-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the Pentax lollipop for this case- you snipe it out!

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 06:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There are many, many threads on PF about sensor cleaning. If I can offer any advice, it's this: A rocket blower, used correctly, will remove sensor dust in 99% of cases. Before getting in there with cleaners and swabs and brushes and all the other "invasive' methods, simply get yourself a good rocket blower and see if that works for you. You need a rocket blower for your lenses anyway, so it's money well spent.
I have a blower and it'S not a help but sticky lollipop makes wonders! It takes a minute to have 100% clean sensor at f22

---------- Post added 09-10-14 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardB Quote
I also used the visibleDust sensor swabs that Nass used, i have a K5II and a IstD and had this kind of dust on the sensor and was willing to try it on the IstD (one big and three smaller dusts that was in love with the sensor giving the same result as on your pic with good speed and aperture around F8 and smaller, fixed dusts on every pictures, unremovable with air flow).
Using this swab gently on the sensor with regular movement once with one side of the swab and another with the other side, it removed all the dusts perfectly.

Oh! Before, i also tried the Pentax cleaning kit and wasn't able to remove these particles with it.
Pentax kit works fine for me.
09-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The dust will show at the smaller apertures and even using the sensor shake effort might lessen it, it is not very useful. +2 on the Pentax lollipop. It was quite intimidating at first, but worked very well. It is not cheap, but if you can clean it yourself in ten minutes for much cheaper than a professional job and just as well, if not better
09-10-2014, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Order of escalation:
  • In-camera dust-removal (better than nothing)
  • Rocket blower (almost always works)
  • Various dry and wet cleaning kits
  • Professional cleaning (last resort)
A rocket blower (or similar) is your best friend. In the 7 years that I have been shooting Pentax dSLRs mine has not failed to remove dust from my sensor.

Steve
09-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Order of escalation:
  • In-camera dust-removal (better than nothing)
  • Rocket blower (almost always works)
  • Various dry and wet cleaning kits
  • Professional cleaning (last resort)
A rocket blower (or similar) is your best friend. In the 7 years that I have been shooting Pentax dSLRs mine has not failed to remove dust from my sensor.

Steve
Yup, you've said it Steve!
09-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think my blower might not be so powerful or my dust a bit more, but got better result with an artist brush and wet clean

Last edited by Basie; 04-12-2015 at 12:54 PM.
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I think my blower might not be so powerful or my dust a bit more, but got better result with an artist brush and wet clean
Suggest you don't change lenses right then