Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How does the FotodioX M42 adapter perform?

I know it won't be quite as good as the Genuine Pentax adapter (which I'd honestly prefer at this point) but it's just so expensive I can't fit it into my budget right now I saw the FotodioX M42 adapter on B&H for about 10 dollars but with no reviews, but I had heard their Q to K-mount adapters were good so I was wondering if the m42 was also quite acceptable.

I'm just sick of how much of a pain in the ass the cheap chinese ones off ebay are to get on and off. Never got one stuck but it just makes in un-enjoyable to shoot with my very small set of m42 lenses (that I'd honestly like to expand in the future).

Thanks in advance!

09-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Amazon.com : AST M42 Lens to Pentax PK Adaptor for K10D K200D K100D : Camera Lens Adapters : Camera & Photo

Or perhaps this one?
09-12-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
YQG
Inactive Account

The Fotodiox doesn't allow focus to infinity. It certainly doesn't feel as chintzy or cheap as the Chinese ones but that's its big drawback. I gave up on M42s because I didn't want to go for M42 adapter #3. =P Though if I did it would certainly be the genuine Pentax one.
09-12-2014, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

At last! A question I can help with.

The answer is it depends I know of two versions, both of which I've used.

One version is the type which had a flange on it for fitting and removing the adapter by hand. This version does not allow infinity focus as it adds between 1mm and 1.3mm of metal between the back of the lens and the mount.

The second version sits flush with the K mount and comes with a tool to remove it as there is no way of getting it out with your hands. This version allows infinity focus and works brilliantly. It effectively turns an M42 in a K mount lens. I;ve even gone to the extent of buying several and glueing them onto 2nd copies of my favourite lenses so I have in effect an M42 and K mount version.

The second version is the one I would recommend. Of the two, the flanged version is black and the other silver (though that might just be my examples). They are both very well made and should last, certainly more so than the cheap Chinese ones which you can get.

I hope this help,

Ryan.

09-12-2014, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have many of them. The ones I have do not have the big flange and definitely allow focus at infinity. The ones with the flange may not allow infinity, depending on your lens. The ones I have are available on Amazon. (Click the link).

One caution: I remove the clip, and screw the adapter on my lens very tightly, then use it like a K-mount. I have an adapter on each of my lenses.
09-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I have many of them. The ones I have do not have the big flange and definitely allow focus at infinity. The ones with the flange may not allow infinity, depending on your lens. The ones I have are available on Amazon. (Click the link).

One caution: I remove the clip, and screw the adapter on my lens very tightly, then use it like a K-mount. I have an adapter on each of my lenses.
I have an original Pentax M42-K adapter and only one lens that I use it with. I've often thought about mounting it somewhat permanently using a thread lock glue. Can you give me some info about removing the clip and any pitfalls for maybe not wanting to do this. I don't plan on selling the lens - an old Russian mirror lens I have fun with.

Thanks
09-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Buy any of the M42 adapters that are cheap so you can have several of them and permanently mount them on the lenses you plan to use. Do not use the flanged ones or the ones you have on your link.
There are M42 adapters that sell even below $10. As already adviced, take off the screw and the clip (these get stuck on the camera) if you plan to permanently mount them on your M42 lens.
The M42 lens would essentially become like your regular K-mount lens that you easily mount and dismount on the camera without the hassle of the adapter being left inside your camera or the adapter being stuck on your camera (as with the case of the cheap adapters).

09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The guy who sold me an M42 lens has told me that he put a drop of Loctite on the thread. I think that's the way to go unless there is s chance you get a camera with M42 mount.
09-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You can place Loctite on it since there are two kinds, the permanent and semi-permanent (colored blue and the other one red).
I think the Loctite red is the permanent one. You could use the Loctite blue so that if you have a change of mind, you can still release the M42 adapter.