Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Choosing Batteries for Flash

Hello all!

So I just got a brand new ring flash via eBay (circa 1975, I think. The thing was brand new, and still had the foam and case). I threw in some lightly used Rayovac alkalines in there, and by about half an hour those puppies were dead. Or, at least, they weren't able to put out power very quickly. So now I'm looking to buy some more batteries for some portraits I'm doing for a friend. Any advice as to what brand I ought to get? I normally use Rayovak NiMH's, but mine are over a year old and are due for a change anyway.

09-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sanyo Enloops are my preference. They seem to give me good battery life and still hold thier charge well (now over 2 years old)
09-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #3

Alkalines start at 1.5V and the voltage drops as it gets used up so high drain devices think the battery is dead. NiMH start at 1.2V but stay about there as it gets used. Older NiMH would drain pretty fast as it's stored on the shelf. The Sanyo/Panasonic eneloops have become the standard because they don't discharge too much as it's stored. I usually use eneloops, but have some Rayovacs as well because they are more easily accessible. I'll carry non-rechargable lithiums as backup if I have space. Costly, but light.
09-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want Rayovacs, they also have their own rechargeable batteries and they are also of the "hybrid" kind or the slow discharge ones like the Sanyo Enelopps. They cost cheaper than the Eneloops too.

Last edited by GerryL; 09-16-2014 at 04:10 PM.
09-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I never would have even thought to look.

For the photo shoot this weekend I'm going to give these Duracell Lithium core NiMH batteries a try and see how they work out for me. Unfortunately I don't have time to order the Eneloops from Amazon, but I will definitely buy a set.