Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Bad camera or bad cards

Greetings. I just finished taking some pictures with my K200D. During the outing my camera froze. Even turning the power switch to off did not turn the camera off. I had to take out the batteries. After putting the batteries back in and powering up I was able to shoot as usual. Pictures I had already taken seemed to be fine on the card. When I got home and tried to review the images they were corrupted. All except for two were bad. I put the card back in the camera to review them that way but they all now showed a ? for each image in the thumbnail view. I checked a different card I had used a week earlier and it also had a few images that had the ? in thumbnail view, although the majority were just fine. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is it that both cards are starting to fail or is it something in the camera that is failing? Thanks in advance.

09-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried the camera with a different battery?
09-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you tried the camera with a different battery?
No I just took out the batteries just to be able to shut off the camera. Then I put the same batteries back in. After that it seemed to work fine.
09-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're able to test it with different battery, that might be useful. I'm wondering if the freeze episode can relate to a dud battery, which could potentially cause a card fault too.

09-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Few years ago my *istD behaved identically, including file corruption in mem cards. The problem was pinpointed to the e-dials that were left "between clicks". The file corruption and body freezing without turning off (via switch) was triggered any time I switched off and one of the dials was between clicks. By checking both dials position before turning on or off the camera, I managed t avoid the problem to happen again. Few months later I took tha camera for a check up and cleaning. Technitian told me the camera's guts were so murky anf sticky that it was a miracle it was still working "fine". After the deep cleaning, the problem never showed again.
09-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I’ll try swapping out the batteries and also making sure the dials are set properly.