Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

FA* 28 70 Power zoom function and switch

Hello all,

I am currently studying the purchase of a FA* 28 70 F2.8 lens.

I have noticed it supports power zoom. There are apparently some functions on the PZ cameras for auto-zoom as well.

The lens has a switch for PZ, AZ and MODE, which are supposed to mean "power zoom" "auto zoom" and "auto set".

Can someone enlighten me to the difference of these settings? How would they operate on the original cameras? How would they now operate on my K5?

I looked on the internet and in this forum, the only thing I could find is
http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/273_1314744957-1957656331_manual.pdf

Regards,
John

09-14-2014, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's high-end DSLRs (K-3, K-5, K-7, K20D, K10D) support manual power zooming & lens retraction only, not all the other "fancy" features that were available on film bodies. Consumer DSLRs don't power the lenses, so you have to zoom by hand (which is faster in most cases anyway).

Essentially, on PZ cameras you could get the camera to try to maintain the size of the subject while moving, and automatically zoom in or out to get that fancy line effect on long exposures. The full write-up can be found here:
Pentax Lens Power Zoom

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the usefull link Adam,

So, on the PZ camaras, the switch set to PZ means manual power zoom. The switch set to AZ had the camera control the zoom to whatever mode the camera was set. The MODE button allowed automatic reset of the focal distance to the last setting. Correct?
09-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
So, on the PZ camaras, the switch set to PZ means manual power zoom. The switch set to AZ had the camera control the zoom to whatever mode the camera was set. The MODE button allowed automatic reset of the focal distance to the last setting. Correct?
I think you're right, but it's been too long for me to remember for sure!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again Adam,

The image size tracking option was really cool. I would say that together with the AF.C functionality would give you a very powerfull feature. And with the computer power of current bodies it should be a piece of cake implementing it. As far as I know, no other camera has implemented it.

I would say its worth starting a campain convincing Ricoh to implement it in the next generation of cameras.
09-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax's high-end DSLRs (K-3, K-5, K-7, K20D, K10D) support manual power zooming & lens retraction only, not all the other "fancy" features that were available on film bodies. Consumer DSLRs don't power the lenses, so you have to zoom by hand (which is faster in most cases anyway).

Essentially, on PZ cameras you could get the camera to try to maintain the size of the subject while moving, and automatically zoom in or out to get that fancy line effect on long exposures. The full write-up can be found here:
Pentax Lens Power Zoom

It works exactly as described by Adam, I had this combination in my possession.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo