Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all due respect for everyone that suggested going the "chemical way" (alcohol, vodka, vinegar, etc) this will affect plastics integrity and probably replace the actual odor for a new one, instead of removing it.

Best way to go is by using 1/2 pound plain arm & hammer sodium. bicarbonate inside an air tight container (tupperware?) that fits the bicarbonate and camera. Use a paper napkin between camera and bicarbonate, just to avoid getting the white dust on camera.

Store camera like this when not in use. The bicarbonate will suck in any odor in few days.

09-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I had a friend that worked for a used car dealer and they used charcoal (the kind used in aquarium filters) in cars that smelled like smoke. They would actually loosen the edge of thecarpet in the back seat and put a little under the carpet. He said the smell would be gone in a couple of days.
Activated carbon is great for a lot of things.
09-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, a lot of things I need to try out. I just tried rubbing alcohol followed by a water wipe down and it didn't work (I'm in the process of moving and it's the only thing I had readily available). I think I'll try baking soda next. Seems to be the safest suggestion. I'll keep everyone posted.
09-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a shame that sellers do not put in their ads whether equipment is from a "smoke" environment or not. I almost always forget to ask. I'm not against smoking, but against buying something that smells of it.

09-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It's a shame that sellers do not put in their ads whether equipment is from a "smoke" environment or not. I almost always forget to ask. I'm not against smoking, but against buying something that smells of it.
Most of the stuff I've sold on the marketplace I've specified that it's from a smoke free home, but I always forget to ask too.
09-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I just got a used K-30 for my wife's birthday. It's great other than it reeks of menthol cigarettes. I've tried cleaning it but the rubber grips and the rubber around the eyepiece still stinks. Does anybody know of any tricks that could help neutralize the smell?
A few hours with an ozone generator will fix it. Hotels among other things use this to de-smoke rooms
09-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time is your only really good ally here. As mentioned, menthol and they cyclic hydrocarbons are very soluble in rubbers. This means they'll take a while migrating out. Leaving the camera on the counter instead of a drawer or closet will maybe help a little, just to aid diffusion.

09-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye just leave it in an airy place and the smell will fade away in time.