Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

k5 + manual lens + manual flash

Ok guys I'm having some trouble so I'm coming to the experts. This is my setup I'm trying to get to work:

-K5
-extension tube set
-reverse lens adapter > Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.8
-Older Promaster FTD7000M flash

My problem right now is that I can't get my flash to fire. The flash works, batteries are good. I know it will only function in Manual mode also. Flash is sercured, seated fully on the hotshoe. Shutter speeds are sub-180. I've used this flash on my KX in manual, the trigger voltages are minimal so I know it works and won't damage my camera but I can't get the thing to fire.

Are there special settings in the menu that I need to check? The only setting I've messed with is the the Aperture ring setting and I don't need to enable it to have this combination take a photo. I simply can put the extension tube+reverse lens on and turn on and it's functions fine in manual mode. Any help is appreciated as I am at a brick wall right now

09-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it work with a regular lens on? Let's eliminate the possibility the flash is not working first. Try something simple like camera in Av with a DA lens on.

Next is the extension tube set painted or bare metal? Not sure, but if painted the camera may think there is no lens on. Try shorting the contacts with a bit of aluminum foil. (Camera / lens contacts, not flash contacts!!)
09-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok so I threw my DA40 Limited on with the flash mounted and it won't fire either! Are there settings I'm not looking at? I've tried in Manual and Av, shutter speeds down to 1/50, tried all the different flash options (down arrow), tried wiggling the flash in and out of the hot shoe at different positions to see if it was that and no luck...

---------- Post added 09-18-14 at 01:36 PM ----------

UPDATE: After some more digging on just this flash on a k5, I'm getting the impression that it just doesn't work with the k5, even though I used it on my older Pentax cameras. It's not worth buying a new flash for my experimentation with macro so I'm going to use the flash wirelessly as a slave.
09-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
PDATE: After some more digging on just this flash on a k5, I'm getting the impression that it just doesn't work with the k5, even though I used it on my older Pentax cameras. It's not worth buying a new flash for my experimentation with macro so I'm going to use the flash wirelessly as a slave.
How many pins are there on the hotshoe of the flash? If more than just one, what happens if you insulate all the other pins from the flash. I've used an old Minolta flash on my K5, and I believe that one of the pins (other than the center one) lines up with the pins on the camera shoe, and if I don't insulate out that pin, the flash doesn't fire.

09-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's what it looks like. [EDIT: MY FAULT ABOUT THE SIZE]

I just found out also that I can't use my onboard flash as a controller (reduced output) for a wireless slave in manual mode with a manual lens....I can only fire the flash at full power. I guess I can cover up the flash with some paper but this is irritating now... If you can tell me of a way to trick my flash/body into working with the flash attached to the hotshoe then that would be awesome!

---------- Post added 09-18-14 at 03:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
How many pins are there on the hotshoe of the flash? If more than just one, what happens if you insulate all the other pins from the flash. I've used an old Minolta flash on my K5, and I believe that one of the pins (other than the center one) lines up with the pins on the camera shoe, and if I don't insulate out that pin, the flash doesn't fire.
Do you think I could damage my camera? Trigger voltage on this flash is 7v I believe but I don't want to fry anything. You leave only the center pin exposed?

Last edited by menappi; 09-18-2014 at 03:54 PM.
09-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I've done in the past is cover all but the center pin on the flash with electrical tape or whatever insulator I had at hand. As the Minolta flash has manual controls for adjusting the power and the extension of the flash head, I had a lot of control without needing the camera to do anything. I can't say I know anything about your flash. My worry wasn't the trigger voltage or damaging the camera, as the flash runs around 6-7. It was simply that it was possible that something the camera was trying to do from the other pins was keeping the flash from firing. So covering the extra pins seemed to work and I was happy enough at that point.
09-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried covering all but the middle pin and couldn't get it to fire
09-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know you are not wanting to use the flash on camera any more, but thought you might find these two links interesting, particularly the first one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/167245-my-new-k-5-ruining-...l-flashes.html

CAUTION Re: Promaster FTD 7000M mini review: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Am I correct in assuming that the KX camera you were using it on before is the KX film SLR and not the K-x dSLR? Newegg currently sells this flash (apparently NOS from a dealer in Idaho) and explicitly states that it is not compatible with Pentax dSLRs.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-19-2014 at 02:57 PM.