Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-500 won't go into manual mode

I've had this problem once before and blamed it on batteries that were going dead. But the problem has emerged again today even with fresh batteries. I put a manual K-mount lens on my camera this morning, and it would only shoot in aperture priorty mode, rather than manual. I put the kit lens on again, and all the modes work except manual. When I switch the dial to manual, it stays in TAV (shutter and aperture priority) mode. The camera shoots pictures in those modes, but it just won't go into manual mode. Anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions as to what I should do? I've tried going into the menu and resetting the custom functions, but to no avail. Could this be a firmware issue? Help!

09-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Take the camera off auto ISO and it will say M Otherwise by definition the mode is TAv, where you set the shutter speed and aperture, and the camera sets the ISO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

The mode dials on all bodies are known to malfunction from time to time. These are after all mechanical devices and the contacts wear out of get misaligned. I seem to recall another poster having a similar problem (I don't recall which body). The work around was to set one of the user modes up as manual. You might try "working" the dial by rocking it back and forth a little over the M setting or even setting it off the click stops between Tav and M or M and B. My K-10D won't go into spot meter unless I set the lever between spot and center weighted. And sometimes it won't switch into pattern metering mode until I "work" the switch on the pattern position. Either the contacts are worn or out of alignment.

If your K-500 is still under warranty I would send it in for servicing.

Of course if Adam's solution works, then you are set

BTW: I just noticed that the K-10D will take the ISO out of Auto when you switch to M and will not let you set it to Auto ISO when in M mode.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.
09-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think Adam got it right. Just press the ISO button then choose up/down so you have a single number chosen, instead of a range. Feel free to search the forums or internet if you aren't sure what ISO does

09-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hey thanks everybody! Adam got it right. I just had to set the ISO to manual, I'm a pretty new user, still a lot I need to learn about this camera!
09-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roypercy Quote
Hey thanks everybody! Adam got it right. I just had to set the ISO to manual
Making auto-ISO the default setting is one of the worst things Ricoh could have done for new owners wanting to use the manual features of the camera.

Steve
09-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Making auto-ISO the default setting is one of the worst things Ricoh could have done for new owners wanting to use the manual features of the camera.

Steve

Couldn't agree with you more. I have to keep reminding myself to check it.