Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
Just tried to read your post with an irish accent....
I failed)))
Sorry for the offtopic stuff)))

Yeah, what is an Irish accent...
Some, I can pick out, but all Gaelic-based sounds very similar to me :^|
Ask a person to say 'no' and I can tell the diff between Irish and Scots. Welsh...

May have been mentioned in the thread, but used to be the Canon and Nikon kit lenses didn't have SR/VR, I think... I believe they do, now. Anyway, that might be a thing to double check. Whatever shake reduction system is available for the lenses you might like. There is also sometimes gnashing of teeth over Pentax screw drive lenses. There are many.. Other brands have silent drive. I think the screw drive (no motor in lens; in body instead) allows some lenses to be smaller. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about; I haven't made many comparisons... The screw drive doesn't bother me except when I am far from the mark for focus. Typically, the sound is very short if the lens is already focused near the subject distance. So, really not that big deal.

I have found a K5 (similar to your K30) to be suitable for general things. I don't use it for motorcycle racing or rocket sled trials but have managed the odd bird or sheep picture on vacation. It has worked well for me in churches (with fast lens) and is plenty fine for landscapes. I really don't know how the K30 focus system will compare to the class of Nikon and Canon you are looking at but I have found it a happy general camera.

Maybe think about the lenses you want and price them, along with the bodies, for each system. Then consider pros/cons.

Oh, I look at WR as a bonus or extra leeway in addition to reasonable care. So, tea is okay. Maybe not beer and no syrup. etc.

09-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have tried all of the major brands in film, and some of the brands in digital. I agree with the response above that says it is a close call. From my perspective, it is a close call between the Nikon and Pentax. I would vote against the Canon. In the APS-C realm, things are extremely competitive. For the past few years, I have been very happy with my Nikon D200. It is a pro-level body that offers a dizzying array of lenses. I have recently bought a K-5ii, and will see how it goes. I would not shoot without a battery grip, and so that limits my options. For me, the best shots come from this combination: a nice, beefy body and a small, short lens. This is the formula I like. Try it and see what happens. The K-5ii body is a bit small for my liking, but it is solid and has decent weight.

Last edited by zx-m; 09-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.
09-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just hold a Pentax in your hands and it becomes instant addiction. The other brands just do not have that comfortable feeling. Button placement is great, menus are well thought of and everything is easily accessed...... The most important thing to do is just go into a camera shop and try them all
09-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Good advice, devouges.

I get the best in-hand feeling from a weighty, solid body with a battery grip and a snubby lens.

12-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
Just a little update.

K-30 has been out in driving rain and hasn't skipped a beat. Had to clean the mount a little but overall is proving its worth.

It's a heavy beast, noticeable when I pop it into my laptop bag.

Have noticed an ever so slight "loose" feeling to the main grip on the right hand side when I pick it up... not enough that it would be noticed by anyone else really, but it's concerning me a little...
12-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amcg01 Quote
Just a little update.

K-30 has been out in driving rain and hasn't skipped a beat. Had to clean the mount a little but overall is proving its worth.

It's a heavy beast, noticeable when I pop it into my laptop bag.

Have noticed an ever so slight "loose" feeling to the main grip on the right hand side when I pick it up... not enough that it would be noticed by anyone else really, but it's concerning me a little...
I've a K-30 and am also in Ireland. Yep, the WR is really something - I dropped it in a bog once, and have had it in utterly horrible weather up in the Wicklow and Kerry hills. This was using the DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR. The K-30's pretty good at high ISO - given how dark it'll be until about April, you might want to look at getting a fast prime or two.

The DA 35mm 2.4 is only fast-ish, but is excellent for the price. I really like the 50mm 1.4 FA for parties, where you have a bit of space to move around. I have the older Sigma 30mm 1.4 as well, and it's quite nice, so long as you don't mind a bit of distortion and the soft corners (personally, I like it - it adds character).

I haven't noticed any movement to the right-hand grip on my one - I'd guessing that this is the rubber insert at the front of the grip? You probably want to check that out - keep hold of your warranty form in case you have to RMA it.