Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

Pentax 60-250 DA* F4 Zoom Question/Issue?

Ok. I have a question for other Pentax 60-250 DA* F4 owners. I just picked one up on their big lens sale, and the zoom ring is a bit looser until about 180-200mm, then it becomes more stiff through 250....definitely not a smooth zoom from wide to tele.... From about 200 on, the barrel turns like it is zooming, but no noticeable additional zoom happens. When at 250, it is actually just slightly wider than my older Tamron 70-200. Both Tamron and Pentax are for crop sensors. This seemed strange to me, so I had it replaced from B&H. Second lens arrived today. The EXACT same thing is happening with the replacement as well. I'm used to a smooth zoom all the way through the range and I would expect that 250 mm *should* be more zoom than 200mm on a Tamron...but maybe that is just a slight difference in manufactures.....? Is this an issue with this lens? At a $1000.00, I would hope for better. Just wondering if I managed to get two lenses with the exact same issue or if this is just how this lens is made. Looking forward to some feedback on this. Seriously considering send it back again for a refund ... ....and no, it's not the same lens sent back to me......

09-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is normal. There is not much additional extension at the long end. I do not have mine handy, my son is out whale watching this weekend and borrowed it. The actual 'focal length' depends somewhat on subject distance. At close range you do not get a full 250 but at long range you do. I don't know the technical description of why that is and maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but what you are seeing is normal.
09-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
What jatrax is describing is knows as "focus breathing". Usually telephoto zooms will suffer from this due to the focal lengths and focus distances involved. The 60-250 does suffer from this when close focusing, so you won't get a 'true' 250mm at the long end if you are close focusing.

As for the zoom ring I'm not sure. My copy of the 60-250 is smooth (and kind of stiff) all the way throughout the zoom range.
09-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TDPhotodog Quote
Ok. I have a question for other Pentax 60-250 DA* F4 owners. I just picked one up on their big lens sale, and the zoom ring is a bit looser until about 180-200mm, then it becomes more stiff through 250....definitely not a smooth zoom from wide to tele.... From about 200 on, the barrel turns like it is zooming, but no noticeable additional zoom happens. When at 250, it is actually just slightly wider than my older Tamron 70-200. Both Tamron and Pentax are for crop sensors. This seemed strange to me, so I had it replaced from B&H. Second lens arrived today. The EXACT same thing is happening with the replacement as well. I'm used to a smooth zoom all the way through the range and I would expect that 250 mm *should* be more zoom than 200mm on a Tamron...but maybe that is just a slight difference in manufactures.....? Is this an issue with this lens? At a $1000.00, I would hope for better. Just wondering if I managed to get two lenses with the exact same issue or if this is just how this lens is made. Looking forward to some feedback on this. Seriously considering send it back again for a refund ... ....and no, it's not the same lens sent back to me......
Mine behaved exactly the same. I haven't tried it but some people say you can get full focal length only for focusing on objects that are far way.

06-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

Hello Guys,

I just picked up one of this beauty.

Mine came a little stiff around 135mm, which seems to be normal considering other users opinions from another forum.
Mine also has barely any difference from 200mm to 250mm. See, I'm not comparing different lenses.
And I think focus breathing is not related to this issue, as I'm not comparing close to far objects nor another lens.
What I mean is, I focus on something at 200mm zoom position. Then I zoom to 250mm at the same object, and the difference from 200mm is minimal.
Is that normal? Should I return it?
What do you guys see on your lens?

Thanks
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #6

It's normal. If you focus on something less than 10m away, it's no better than a 135mm lens. It's due to internal focusing. However, when you focus at infinity, it is a 250mm.
06-08-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lruggeri Quote
Is that normal? Should I return it?
Yep, it's normal for that lens.