Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Double clicking in manual mode

When i press the shutter release button in manual mode on my k-5 ii, i am finding i have to double click to take the picture. It doesn't do that in automatic mode and wasn't previously behaving this way. It is fine in automatic mode. Is it possible i have hit a button, turned on or off something, for it to behave this way??

Sorry for all the extreme beginner questions.

09-21-2014, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirror lock-up? Press Up on the 4-way controller and see if the drive mode is changed.
09-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mirror lock-up, you're a genious Giklab!
09-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Mirror lock-up, you're a genious Giklab!
When i turned my camera on and pressed up on the 4 way controller it reads drive mode single frame shooting. I went ahead and pressed ok then took a couple of pictures in manual mode and it is fine now. So i went back at the pictures where it was acting up and looked at the info screens of each picture and compare to the ones i just took and sure enough i see a m.up in those pictures that double clicked which i assume means my mirror was up.

Good grief.

Thank you so much.

09-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, it locks the mirror in the up position the first click and takes the photo the next one, to minimize shake for critical work.
09-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yeah, it locks the mirror in the up position the first click and takes the photo the next one, to minimize shake for critical work.
Interesting, i wondered why one would use it.

Funny thing, when my camera was acting up my son said, why don't you try googling the problem. I said, i don't need no google, i got the pentax forum.

Thank you all. Such a great resource here.
09-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamawarrior Quote
<i>When i press the shutter release button in manual mode on my k-5 ii, i am finding i have to double click to take the picture. ...
Crazy !
I googl.. I duckducked the bit quoted above and this was the first result:
https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentaxforums.com%2Ffor...nual-mode.html

Both you and your son were correct.

Good idea determining mirror up was the problem
I use it on tripod for long exposures
2-second delay is a fine alternative
A difference for mirror up: the mirror is out of the way and everything is ready to go. If you have already positioned your camera and focused, it is simple to click the cable release to take the picture exactly when you want. With 2-sec timer, you need to plan ahead 2-seconds...