Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-3 FLU card sends empty image to iphone

I must be overlooking something that I can't run down. The images that my phone receives are empty black frames. Do I have a setting wrong on the camera or in the phone? Any similar experience? Thanks.

09-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What format are you sending? Phone may not be able to display raw, .pef or .dng, images.
09-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if you're having the same problem I'm having. All the tethering/control capabilities seem to work, but I haven't been able to get a "live view" to show up on my smart phone, so I'm effectively blind. I'm using Google Chrome browser. I hope somebody has a suggestion on what might be a simple solution.
Thanks,
Daryl
PS - Before seeing your note, I posted a query on the DPR Pentax forum site. If I learn anything, I'll try to report it here.
09-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
What format are you sending? Phone may not be able to display raw, .pef or .dng, images.
I'm not "sending" per se -- there is no "send" option, really. What ends up in my phone's photo gallery arrives there automatically. I have the K-3 set to send RAW to SD slot 1 and jpegs to slot 2 (the FLU card), however, so it would be the jpegs that are in play. My conclusion at the moment is that the FLU card only offers remote camera control - with viewfinder visibility and full control of parameter control - and then a view of the files that the card contains. All of that works smoothly. But it does not transfer the files to the phone. Nevertheless, and this is what surprises me, the phone's photo gallery registers empty frames, as one can see from the attached screen shot. All of those blanks are shots using the phone to control the camera. My expectation of course is that the photos themselves ought to upload, if anything is to show up at all. It's like the phone is saying "I see something happening photographically, but I'm not going to transfer it in."

SD slot 2 does transfer files from an Eye-Fi card to the phone. I tested using an Eye-Fi card from my Q7 without reformatting, BTW -- The card formatting works identically in both cameras.

Attached Images

09-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I haven't been able to get a "live view" to show up on my smart phone
Try to tap "LV" icon at the left bottom of the remote capture page.

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 12:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
My expectation of course is that the photos themselves ought to upload, if anything is to show up at all. It's like the phone is saying "I see something happening photographically, but I'm not going to transfer it in."
I wonder if some program was running in the background on your phone and tried to download photos that you captured by using the browser.
09-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an eye-fi card and experienced a similar problem. Changed my auto off to never and now the photos complete the transfer. You may want to check your auto-off setting on 'Wrench' Menu #3.
09-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
I have an eye-fi card and experienced a similar problem. Changed my auto off to never and now the photos complete the transfer. You may want to check your auto-off setting on 'Wrench' Menu #3.
Thanks for the suggestion. I anticipated that and had the camera set to remain on. What I've learned otherwise is that the "transfer" selection in the menu where you develop RAW (far right, bottom row) wants an Eye-Fi card only, not the FLU.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try using something besides an iPhone.

09-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The post provided by dmoisuk in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253325-flucard-pro-pentax-...how-guide.html thankfully solved my problem. Sounds like your problem may be different, but figured it can't hurt for me to share. If you have Live View Composition Adjust set to "on" the Live View image (for whatever reason) won't transfer to one's phone/tablet/whatever.
Thanks,
Daryl
09-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
The post provided by dmoisuk in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253325-flucard-pro-pentax-...how-guide.html thankfully solved my problem. Sounds like your problem may be different, but figured it can't hurt for me to share. If you have Live View Composition Adjust set to "on" the Live View image (for whatever reason) won't transfer to one's phone/tablet/whatever.
Thanks,
Daryl
Thanks, Daryl. I will investigate that. My earlier post above is incorrect when I suggest that all the FLU does is operate the camera remotely and let you see the files on the card. It does all that well, but it should be sending useable files to my phone also, not empty frames. I obviously have a setting wrong somewhere.