Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #1

Servicing/ refurbishing Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens

Hey,

I bough a 50mm 1.4 Super Takumar today in Vietnam whilst travelling (I only just realised its one of the 8 blades too) for 70USD, not sure if its a bargain or not but I'm convincing myself it is lol. The glass is absolutely pristine but is slightly scuffed on the outside. However the aperture ring is really stiff and was wondering if anyone knows how/where I can get the else serviced in the UK?

There are three tiny screws just above the ring and was wondering if anyone knows if I loosened these at all, it would make the ring more smoother?

Any tips or help will be great!

Thanks

09-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not familiar with lens repair I would not recommend opening it yourself. If you want to try there are a number of videos and instruction sets on the web, just search for 'takumar repair'.

If you want it done right just send it to Eric: Home Oh, I see you are in the UK. Shipping to US might be too expensive but you might want to check. If not maybe someone from the UK will stop in and recommend a repair shop there. Most likely it just needs a CLA.

And 70USD is a good price even if you add another $50 for the CLA.
09-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The three screws hold the ring with the DOF markings in place. It probably won't affect the movement of the aperture setting ring unless it is for some reason rubbing against the ring.

Different lens but this may help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/217082-ta...egreasing.html

And this:
http://retinarescue.com/pentax50mmf1.4.html
09-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first link in Not a Number's post - this one - lists the steps you'd take to get to the aperture ring. You only need to go to step 7 for disassembly, then skip ahead to step 12 (setting infinity focus) for reassembly. Although the 55mm lenses are different in a couple of ways, that won't matter for this job. The aperture ring can collect dirt and debris that makes it hard to turn. A couple of minutes cleaning that up and a dab of new grease will do wonders.

Any old camera repair shop should be able to do it for you, if you don't want to tackle it yourself.