Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bing Quote
This happened to my camera as well. I will post some photos later. It must be a defect. I am considering to file a claim to force pentax to look at this issue seriously. It might be useful. For example, nikon had to deal with the d600 issue this year.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, this is likely the same problem as in the other thread you posted to. I am sorry you are having this problem. From your other post, it appears that your camera was purchased used about 6 months ago and is no longer under warranty. The underexposure issue involves the aperture actuator and is a well-established hardware controller issue that started appearing in July of 2013. Ricoh/Pentax is aware of the problem and has fixed several forum members' cameras. The cost for the repair, including parts, is over $200 USD.

I suppose you could pursue some sort of class-action lawsuit. Good luck. Unlike the D600 sensor stain, all K-30s did not leave the factory with non-functional aperture controllers and Ricoh can hardly be held liable for malfunctions that happen six months or more out of warranty. If this had happened right after you bought the camera, you might have had recourse against the seller, but since so much time has passed I doubt you would get your money back unless it was warrantied by the shop. As for Ricoh, they have none of your money. It is unlikely that Ricoh will do the repair for free in return for your continued good will. You might see if they will allow you to trade up to a refurbished (and warrantied) K-50 for a similar amount.

I wished I could tell you that the K-30 has been trouble-prone. That might make you feel better, but such is not the case. My impression has been that the K-30/K-50 models have been some of the most reliable Pentax product of the last five or six years.

Sorry

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-26-2014 at 10:14 AM.
09-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/229...problem-3.html
09-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you happy with the repair?

Steve
09-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, this is likely the same problem as in the other thread you posted to. I am sorry you are having this problem. From your other post, it appears that your camera was purchased used about 6 months ago and is no longer under warranty. The underexposure issue involves the aperture actuator and is a well-established hardware controller issue that started appearing in July of 2013. Ricoh/Pentax is aware of the problem and has fixed several forum members' cameras. The cost for the repair, including parts, is over $200 USD.

I suppose you could pursue some sort of class-action lawsuit. Good luck. Unlike the D600 sensor stain, all K-30s did not leave the factory with non-functional aperture controllers and Ricoh can hardly be held liable for malfunctions that happen six months or more out of warranty. If this had happened right after you bought the camera, you might have had recourse against the seller, but since so much time has passed I doubt you would get your money back unless it was warrantied by the shop. As for Ricoh, they have none of your money. It is unlikely that Ricoh will do the repair for free in return for your continued good will. You might see if they will allow you to trade up to a refurbished (and warrantied) K-50 for a similar amount.

I wished I could tell you that the K-30 has been trouble-prone. That might make you feel better, but such is not the case. My impression has been that the K-30/K-50 models have been some of the most reliable Pentax product of the last five or six years.

Sorry

Steve
Hi Steve, Thank you very much for your reply. I am sorry I posted on different threads since I was a little bit frustrated. I had thought this dslr should be more reliable and last longer than my point & shot ones I had before. I was kind of mad especially when I found so many posts on this issue here and also on other websites after Pentax representatives told me they were not aware of this issue. I don't think I am going to repair it at ~200$ (I am not going to even sell it at that price on craigslist after I repair it). More importantly, I think this is a design defect (considering it happens on so many cameras and different models) and it may happen on another day. I once sent mine to repair the "button freezing" issue (all buttons do not work and I have to take the battery out to force shutdown) a while ago. It took more than 6 weeks (waiting for replaced parts) to get it back but now the same issue happens again. I may just stay away from Pentax in future and switch to Nikon/Canon. I hope they care the customers more.

09-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I may just stay away from Pentax in future and switch to Nikon/Canon. I hope they care the customers more.
Good luck. I have a friend locally who had her Canon 7d shutter replaced three times under warranty in the first year of ownership. The fourth replacement (yes, fourth), she had to pay for out of her own pocket. Apparently there is a shutter problem, but warranty terms are warranty terms.

Steve
09-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #21

Good luck. I have a friend locally who had her Canon 7d shutter replaced three times under warranty in the first year of ownership. The fourth replacement (yes, fourth), she had to pay for out of her own pocket. Apparently there is a shutter problem, but warranty terms are warranty terms.

Steve
Steve, sorry just noticed that you may work for pentax. No personal offense to you and I actually thank you for the discussion. However, I don't agree with your example here without knowing all other facts. It seems to me that your friend might be just unlucky and had the shutter problem again and again (might be the problem of the body). But we are seeing here a common issue for K30 as well as some other Pentax models. As I said earlier, this must be a hardware or software design defect. One might be unlucky to buy a car with a bad airbag due to lots of uncertainties. But if the airbag has the design flaws, all the cars have to be recalled regardless of the warranty (You might read this news earlier), right? I am not going to file a lawsuit against Pentax because I do not want to spent time and money on it. I will probably file a BBB complaint though (which might be not useful at all but it will let other potential buyers know this issue). Anyway, thank you again!
09-26-2014, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve, sorry just noticed that you may work for pentax. No personal offense to you and I actually thank you for the discussion. However, I don't agree with your example here without knowing all other facts.
  • I don't work for Pentax. In fact I am currently unemployed which explains why I have time to respond to posts in the troubleshooting section of this site. I didn't even shoot Pentax until a few years ago and I may yet buy a Nikon or a Sony FF. It says "Pentaxian" below my alias because a few years ago I went over the line of 500 forum posts.
  • I own camera gear from wide range of makers and make no apologies for any of them
  • My friend's experience with Canon is a fact. Granted, she shoots a lot. but each shutter failed after less than 50K actuations. Each repair took almost a month turn-around and the last one she paid for despite her history with the company and issues with the body (she owns 2 7D as well as a 5D mkIII).
  • As for airbags vs. aperture controls...One will kill you while the other will not. Safety-related recalls are government mandated. A transmission problem at or near 100,000 miles with the same car a few years from now might justify a service bulletin, but probably not a recall.
  • It is a bitter pill, but since you bought the camera used from a third-party you have only an indirect customer relationship with Ricoh/Pentax. Ricoh/Pentax owes you very little because you literally paid them nothing, though they may be willing to work with you.
  • I appreciate your post because it is always good to know when a problem has increased incidence. Joining a forum simply to post a rant is generally frowned upon, but my feeling is that it is good thing all around if we can validate the complaint as real (some aren't) and provide valid options for a fix if one exists.

My opinion is that it is almost certain that your camera's problem is the result of a fault in manufacturing. The best case scenario would be that it is due to a bad batch of aperture actuators that entered the production line at some point. At least then the number of affected people would be minimized.
  • I understand your pain. It would be nice if makers of expensive things like computers, dSLRs, and television sets would stand behind their product when it fails to deliver the expected value. Notice that I bolded the sentence a few back. I have spent much of the day wrestling with a long-standing issue with my mildly expensive* Nikon film scanner that fails under certain common use cases. It has been to Nikon service in New York state several times at my expense with no satisfaction and with physical damage to the unit on the last trip.

You don't even want to ask me about my Panasonic plasma wide screen.

I generally advise that dSLR buyers (all brands) purchase an extended warranty if it is available (ditto for personal computers and other home electronics). With Pentax, an additional two years only costs $20. I know that is little solace to you since you purchased used and have gotten precious little use from your investment. The sad part is that it is possible that the seller of your camera did so because of the problems you are having.
Before I close this note, I will mention that there is an amplification effect in regards to camera problems and forum posts. To provide a degree of perspective, you may want to do a Google search (or Bing search if it suits) on the term "Pentax K-30 failure" followed by "Pentax K-30 broken" or similar. You can then go to RiceHigh's blog. If there is a quality problem with a Pentax product, RiceHigh will post it. Here is a link to his content on the K-30:

https://www.google.com/search?q=K-30&btnG=Find&domains=ricehigh.blogspot.com...com&gws_rd=ssl

Steve

* Cost more than the value of two K-30s new and would be over $5000 to replace.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-26-2014 at 05:54 PM.
09-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Are you happy with the repair?

Steve
Steve, so far everything as it should be, after about 5000 clicks since repair

EDIT: I also believe it's an early batch problem, but that's a risk one take when buying early....

Last edited by altopiet; 09-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.
09-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
EDIT: I also believe it's an early batch problem, but that's a risk one take when buying early...
I believe you are correct. It is a shame to have something like this show up, particularly since a couple of the recent reports are from owners of very lightly used cameras. The K-30 is a fine camera and if I find one languishing in a store somewhere at a decent price, I will likely buy it as a companion to the K-3.

Steve
12-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #25

Hello to everyone! A newbie here..im hoping someone could help me.. My 4 month old K30 is having the same issues as the others had stated in the thread.. It is still under warranty but my problem is i bought it in one electronics store in germany and they told me that i only got european warranty, and i wont be coming back in any european country within the time of its warranty period.. I hope anyone can give me an advice what to do, where to send it..Thanks in advance!
12-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dkdkdk07 Quote
Hello to everyone! A newbie here..im hoping someone could help me.. My 4 month old K30 is having the same issues as the others had stated in the thread.. It is still under warranty but my problem is i bought it in one electronics store in germany and they told me that i only got european warranty, and i wont be coming back in any european country within the time of its warranty period.. I hope anyone can give me an advice what to do, where to send it..Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Are you in the U.S. or Canada? If so, Ricoh Imaging Americas should honor your warranty. You will need proof of purchase.

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

See section on "International Warranty Card".

Steve
12-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #27

Wow thanks for the quick reply sir.. Well right now im working on board a cruise ship which circles around china, korea and japan at the moment. But we will be leaving sometime in april for the US.. Proof of purchase is with me, yes.. But no international warranty card.. European warranty card it is. 😞
12-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dkdk0705 Quote
which circles around china, korea and japan
Did you say Japan? Perhaps Ricoh Japan can help you. There are service facilities there:

Asia | Service Contacts | Support | RICOH IMAGING

Steve
12-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #29

Did you say Japan? Perhaps Ricoh Japan can help you. There are service facilities there:

Asia | Service Contacts | Support | RICOH IMAGING

Steve
Thanks for the help, I will try to contact them and i hope they would not charge for costs..
12-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dkdkdk07 Quote
Thanks for the help, I will try to contact them and i hope they would not charge for costs..
Taking your situation into account, it would be nice of them if they make an exception, and do a warranty repair in Japan....