Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Cannot find AF adjustment menu

Hi everyone, this is my first thread and it's a knotty one (for me). I had been on the point of trading in my K7 because it was consistently shooting fuzzy photos with both the standard lens and the 55-300 (but worse with the zoom). I even had Pentax give me a new zoom under guarantee. Then some searching here suggested the problem might be the AF adjustment. Fine, so I'm ready to do some tests BUT I cannot find the damn menu...
On my 'spanner' menu I have four submenus and no more. So where is the AF fine adjustment menu? Or am I being particularly dense?

09-24-2014, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lhc Quote
Hi everyone, this is my first thread and it's a knotty one (for me). I had been on the point of trading in my K7 because it was consistently shooting fuzzy photos with both the standard lens and the 55-300 (but worse with the zoom). I even had Pentax give me a new zoom under guarantee. Then some searching here suggested the problem might be the AF adjustment. Fine, so I'm ready to do some tests BUT I cannot find the damn menu...
On my 'spanner' menu I have four submenus and no more. So where is the AF fine adjustment menu? Or am I being particularly dense?
HI! I don't have the K-7, but the AF adjustment is in the Custom Settings menu (you have to enable it in order to see the submenus) - the last tab from the menu - as stated in the K-7 manual page 121.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf

Last edited by Caver; 09-24-2014 at 06:49 AM.
09-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
lhc
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
HI! I don't have the K-7, but the AF adjustment is in the Custom Settings menu (you have to enable it in order to see the submenus) - the last tab from the menu - as stated in the K-7 manual page 121.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf
Thanks, got it! I was being dense: the camera was on the green auto mode; as soon as I shifted it to AE: bingo!
09-24-2014, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its deeper in the menu.
Btw, photography is a skill, it takes time and work to get clear, sharp photos. It is not just about the gear. For example, using the 55-300mm, you need to have a steady hand and high shutter speed to get clear images, because with telephoto lenses, any handshake makes the photo blurry. And telephoto means a long lens, like 50mm and above. Zoom means a lens has multiple focal length, 55-300mm or 18-55mm. Both are zoom lenses. Wide angle zoom lenses exist. Zoom doesn't mean it brings things closer, just that you can change the focal length. Tele means it brings things close.
Finaly, the AF points are bigger than what you see in the viewfinder, so it is possible the camera locked focus correctly, but the camera simply cannot know which subject in the AF point you wanted to focus on.
I don't mean to offend, but we get quite a few threads where people complain about the gear, and then it turns out it is simply because their skills are not up to their own expectations.

If you want more info about AF adjustment, there are many threads and blogs about this, so feel free to search. You can download a free AF focus chart and follow instructions, or use some other technique

09-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
lhc
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its deeper in the menu.
Btw, photography is a skill, it takes time and work to get clear, sharp photos. It is not just about the gear. For example, using the 55-300mm, you need to have a steady hand and high shutter speed to get clear images, because with telephoto lenses, any handshake makes the photo blurry. And telephoto means a long lens, like 50mm and above. Zoom means a lens has multiple focal length, 55-300mm or 18-55mm. Both are zoom lenses. Wide angle zoom lenses exist. Zoom doesn't mean it brings things closer, just that you can change the focal length. Tele means it brings things close.
Finaly, the AF points are bigger than what you see in the viewfinder, so it is possible the camera locked focus correctly, but the camera simply cannot know which subject in the AF point you wanted to focus on.
I don't mean to offend, but we get quite a few threads where people complain about the gear, and then it turns out it is simply because their skills are not up to their own expectations.

If you want more info about AF adjustment, there are many threads and blogs about this, so feel free to search. You can download a free AF focus chart and follow instructions, or use some other technique
Thanks for the solicitude but it is the gear in this case: I use other cameras, other zoom lenses and don't have this issue. Out of focus with AF, AF spot and manual, even with straightforward subjects. I'm now doing some tests with focus charts.