Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I generally only use a liquid cleaner after an accidental finger/palm print marks the glass or dried water spots. Living in the Pacific Northwest, always out in the rain... Other than those two instances, it's usually just a bit of dust on the lens so a blower usually does the trick.

09-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If what you're using now is doing the job, stay with it. Lens cleaning solution is normally used for jobs that are more serious in nature. Dried on mud, soft drink, or something like that. something that needs to be dissolved. Do not soak your lens In cleaning solution. just use enough to soften and remove the stuck on substance.

As far as dishwashing liquid goes, my mother uses a small measuring cup to measure out the amount of liquid she needs in the dishwasher. After putting it in the dispenser she places the cup in the dishwasher to be washed along with everything else. After a few loads the cup is clouded. I can remove the cloudiness but it is very difficult and must be done by hand. It is difficult to totally remove all residue from dishwashing liquid.This includes dishwashing liquid made for handwashing dishes as well.

If you want to eventually cloud your lenses, please continue using dishwashing liquid. I will continue using the proper cleaning solutions.
10-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schick Quote
I realize that a few bucks for some pre-made solution sounds reasonable, especially considering the price of my camera, but I hate blowing money on stuff I can easily make.

From what I have found online, it seems that lens cleaner is little more than diluted isopropyl alcohol. Couldn't I just use store bought 50% alcohol in a smaller container as a lens cleaner? I was thinking of re-using my empty little eye glass sprayer to apply to lens paper I have available.

Also, I found out today that Staples wants $10 CAD for a small bottle of spray cleaner. Crooks.
Yes, lens cleaner is just isopropyl alcohol. Also called surgical alcohol. Those expensive Zeiss swabs? Active ingredient is, you guessed it, isopropyl alcohol. A friend of mine buys isopropyl alcohol by the gallon and I fill a small medicinal bottle from his bottle once every few years. Cheap lens cleaner is nothing but isopropyl alcohol and water. Problem is, you don't know how pure their water is, so making your own can actually result in a better solution than the China made stuff. I don't add water, I just use the isopropyl alcohol.
10-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me that lens cleaning should basically be a one-time thing. After it's good and clean, put either a skylight filter or UV filter on it and forget about it. Or.... am I missing something?

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

10-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It seems to me that lens cleaning should basically be a one-time thing. After it's good and clean, put either a skylight filter or UV filter on it and forget about it. Or.... am I missing something?
Some of us don't use filters for protection, besides where are you guys taking your cameras where you need more than a lens pen on a regular basis? Wherever it is, I want to see photos of it.
10-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Some of us don't use filters for protection, besides where are you guys taking your cameras where you need more than a lens pen on a regular basis? Wherever it is, I want to see photos of it.

If you want to leave your expensive glass open to anything and everything that might come along, be my guest.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to leave your expensive glass open to anything and everything that might come along, be my guest.
I was scared away from UV filters after a forum member related how they bumped into something, shattering their filter which proceeded to scratch the front element of their lens.

10-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was scared away from UV filters after a forum member related how they bumped into something, shattering their filter which proceeded to scratch the front element of their lens.

So.... he now has only a lens with a scratch..... and a shattered filter. I rest my case, sir.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, one must be very careful using the "lens pens"; as if anything gets on the pad, then it is scraped across your glass!
10-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Also, one must be very careful using the "lens pens"; as if anything gets on the pad, then it is scraped across your glass!

Yep, you got THAT right! I saw the drawbacks to those little gadgets right away! They're as bad as using your shirttail! That's why I clean the lens as soon as I get it, using a 50/50 solution of Everclear and toilet tissue, then put a UV or skylight filter (or CP, as the situation dictates) on it and forget about ever cleaning it again. It's worked for 50 years so I see no reason to change horses in the middle of the stream. I've got a f:1.4, 50mm Pentax lens I bought in Hong Kong in 1966 and it still looks like new. The proof in the pudding is in the eating!

I guess I'm kinda' OC about my "tools." I was a carpenter/cabinetmaker/furniture maker--designer for most of my life and I NEVER had a chisel you couldn't shave with. Same with my saws. Never had any use for a dull one. Same with router bits, drill bits, planer blades.... even my EDC pocket knife. You could do eye surgery with it if the situation demanded! But, I digress. But, I'm old.... I'm allowed that luxury.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Don't you clean your skylight filters?

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 01:27 PM ----------

I'd rather shatter the filter than the front element. (As happened this weekend!) Front element was fine, no scratches, if the filter was not there, the front element would have been toast.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 01:31 PM ----------

Yep, you got THAT right! I saw the drawbacks to those little gadgets right away! They're as bad as using your shirttail! That's why I clean the lens as soon as I get it, using a 50/50 solution of Everclear and toilet tissue, then put a UV or skylight filter (or CP, as the situation dictates) on it and forget about ever cleaning it again.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Everclear is mostly wood alcohol, (ethanol) so actually a very good cleaning agent for lenses. I'm still surprised that you never need to clean your filters or lenses after that one time clean.
10-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't you clean your skylight filters?

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 01:27 PM ----------

I'd rather shatter the filter than the front element. (As happened this weekend!) Front element was fine, no scratches, if the filter was not there, the front element would have been toast.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 01:31 PM ----------

Everclear is mostly wood alcohol, (ethanol) so actually a very good cleaning agent for lenses. I'm still surprised that you never need to clean your filters or lenses after that one time clean.

No, no.... I meant that I don't have to clean the LENS again! Of course I clean the filter as necessary, but I always avoid touching the lens if at all possible after the initial cleaning.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, no.... I meant that I don't have to clean the LENS again! Of course I clean the filter as necessary, but I always avoid touching the lens if at all possible after the initial cleaning.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Aha. Yes, I do the same. Sometimes though, I find dust gets in behind a UV / Skylight filter. No idea how!