Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

50mm AF lens help

I've been enjoying taking portraits on first a k200d and now a k30 for a few years now and I mostly take photos of kids and babies and almost every photo I have taken over the last 3 years has been with a M50 1.7. I can focus it pretty well and have taken some fairly nice photos with it. BUT I really need an AF lens of around the same length that captures the same magic that the M50 1.7 does. I bought an F50 1.7 hoping that it would do the trick, but it just doesn't. . I don't know if mine is just a dud, but it is slow to focus and often misses focus so I rarely use it as I'm always worried I'll miss the shot.
I also have a Tamron AF 17-50 2.8 which I do enjoy, but for portraits, it just doesn't have the same magic, either. I guess what I'm really looking for is something really snappy, sharp, but with lovely bokeh and background separation.
I don't really want to spend more than $500, but for that magic lens I'm seeking, price isn't a factor. Doesn't have to be a pentax brand lens..
so what do you say, Pentaxians?? Does this lens exist and if so, what is it??

09-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
the pentax da are both okay or the fa50 1.4.

Otherwise you have sigmas 50mm with hsm

You will probably have the same issues with the da1.8 and the fa1.4 as you had with the f1.7 since they all rely on focus screws. better to go for sigmas 50mm or pentax 55mm since they have focus motors. I have the fa1.4 and I must say that I am happy as can be with it!
09-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I use the Sigma (pre-Art). Stunningly good lens. Love the super reliable hsm and fat barrel for fantastic manual focus. You can pick these up for a song....best price to spec option going. Hell it was a steal at its intro msrp!
09-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
ok so sounds like the Sigma might be the way to go. . wish one of the 2 camera stores locally stocked Pentax instead of just Canon and Nikon! It would be nice to be able to play around with a few lenses in person.

Thanks for the advice!

09-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 50/1.8 should be your ticket. I got my copy as part of a bundle with the K-3 and was able to use it on the K10D as well. It focuses fast and also has very nice action for manual focus. I might also add that it is quite nice optically and very close to the M 50/1.7 in general performance.

I will add a quick note in regards to AF accuracy and portraits. It is very difficult to manage fine focus using an AF system. The AF sensor likely will not be able to tell the difference between the leading edge of the cheek vs. the eye vs. the eyebrow (depending of course on how close you are).

Steve