Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #1

Video lag

Have a Pentax K-50 and while shooting FullHD (1080) at 30fps after about 3 minutes of recording the video starts to lag behind the audio and the audio breaks up. My SanDisk is 32g, 200X, Class 10. I am able to get the video to stop lagging and the audio to be ok but I have to record in HD (720) at 24fps... Has anyone else had the same issues.

09-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you taken the footage off the camera and checked this on an editing program? (just trying to establish if the footage is genuinely faulty or playing back in camera is creating the sync issue)
09-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
I played them back on the computer using a couple different (reliable) playback programs. I think that everything is fine until the buffer of the camera fills (at around 3 minutes) and the processor isn't fast enough to write to disk and keep up... And each time it writes to the disk the audio takes a hit and breaks up (skips)... I did call Pentax and all they offered was for me to keep an eye on it or send it in to be checked - they didn't say that it was normal or not. I think that in the development that someone would have played more than 3 minutes of video. So at this stage I guess that I can conclude that there is an issue with the camera in video mode and for some reason can't handle longer than 3 minutes of video and audio. I was wondering if someone had a K-50 and experience the same problem. If this is normal then I know to use HD (720) and 24 fps. This is not a problem with me, I just want to know. In any case I did contact the seller and they offered to swap the camera body (even sent me a shipping label - Some great people at B&H). If the next body does the same then I probably can conclude that it is normal behavior. I did upgrade the firmware (1.0 to 1.2) and Pentax told me NOT to, unless I experience problems with v1.0 (I thought that was kind of strange). I don't do many movies and didn't really buy the Pentax K-50 for the movie feature (I already knew some of the downfalls - noisy focus with some lenses and no continuous focus).