Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rokinon 14 mm problem

I have just received a Rokinon 14 mm for my K3 K5 K30 and I can not get the camera to function with it on any of my camera bodies. I have followed the directions in the instructions! Does nay one have knowledge of this item?
Rich Rosenthal

09-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Flick the switch on the camera body to manual focus (MF) instead of AF.

In your camera, go to the menu that says 'Using Aperture Ring' (Menu C4-item 27 in the K-3), and set it to 'Enable'. Then turn off you camera.

Mount the 14mm lens, set the aperture on the lens to the A position (all SamYang/Rokinon's should have an A setting).

Turn on your camera. It will ask you for the focal length of the lens, so input that.

Start shooting, in P mode, or Aperture Priority or TAV, or whatever you normally use.
09-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, enable the Aperture ring. But also, on the Samyang lens, push the little button on the aperture ring and switch it to A mode. Now you should be able to use P and Av mode, and adjust aperture on the camera edial.
If you have already done this, please give us more detail what exactly you mean with "can not get the camera to function with it." Do you mean the camera doesn't take photos? Or are the photos too dark, too bright? What exactly do you do, and what exactly happens

You might want to look at this thread about how to use Manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Even though the Samyang is not fully manual. It has no AF and it doesn't communicate focal length to the camera. Btw, the focal length that you enter should be 14mm or the nearest wider setting (12mm, I think), so the SR doesn't overcompensate.
Oh and many of us have a Samyang/Rokinon 14mm lens and it functions all right. Though, some of us had to return it to dealer because the lens had problems. It is not impossible that your lens has a problem. If you bought it in a store, go there with a camera and have the deal try it, and then replace it when it doesn't work.

One more thing! The lens must be K-mount. I hope you are not trying to mount a Nikon or Canon or Sony mount lens, as the 14mm Rokinon comes in all those mounts.
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I have just received a Rokinon 14 mm for my K3 K5 K30 and I can not get the camera to function with it on any of my camera bodies. I have followed the directions in the instructions! Does nay one have knowledge of this item?
Rich Rosenthal
Set the aperture ring to "A", set the camera to manual focus, focus manually, and shoot as you would normally

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

rr1736 <- If you follow the advice above I believe you will get positive results. Am considering getting my own copy of this lens (14 mm), would like to know how you fared? I have an "OLD" Samyang 28 - 70 f3.5 one touch (push pull) zoom that I like a lot. Following the advice above, it functions as expected on my K5 & K30. You do need to shut the camera off after you make the setting changes. The lens f stop responds to the e-dial and the focus indicator is dead on with my Samyang and you have to set what focal length as stated.I have to cheat when I plan on zooming (set it to 40mm). My main use for this lens is for catch in focus using a tripod so it may not matter there? Note: remember to restore the aperture ring setting to "prohibited" or you'll run into problems with auto-focusing lenses, but I don't remember the problem(s) it caused. Please let us know if the lens works out for you, others seem to have had success. Good Luck!
09-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DizziPixel Quote
Note: remember to restore the aperture ring setting to "prohibited" or you'll run into problems with auto-focusing lenses, but I don't remember the problem(s) it caused. Please let us know if the lens works out for you, others seem to have had success. Good Luck!
there is no reason to set it to Prohibited. I have left it on Permitted for years, bot K-x and K-5 with no problems. The reason why it is not set to Permitted by default is one of the mysteries of Pentax.
09-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Flick the switch on the camera body to manual focus (MF) instead of AF.

In your camera, go to the menu that says 'Using Aperture Ring' (Menu C4-item 27 in the K-3), and set it to 'Enable'. Then turn off you camera.

Mount the 14mm lens, set the aperture on the lens to the A position (all SamYang/Rokinon's should have an A setting).

Turn on your camera. It will ask you for the focal length of the lens, so input that.

Start shooting, in P mode, or Aperture Priority or TAV, or whatever you normally use.
Thank you for the help it works perfectly thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Rosenthal
09-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
Thank you for the help it works perfectly thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Rosenthal
Thanks for getting back. Am looking forward to owning one of these lenses. I have some older Sigma lenses (film era but auto focus) and it was likely one of them that caused a problem when I left my K5 on "Aperture Ring Permitted". It wasn't too hard to find that this was causing the problem in these forums. Am pretty sure it wasn't using my old * IST or my K30. I have several Pentax lenses, from ancient to very recent but I can't remember which lens had the problem. Adam also says 'modern' lenses will not have a problem if the setting is left in "permitted" so that is surely true. But, there is a scenario where this setting will cause a problem. I'll experiment and get back on this. Tried searching but didn't get anywhere, must need to search for the exact problem, as I did at the time.

09-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DizziPixel Quote
Thanks for getting back. Am looking forward to owning one of these lenses. I have some older Sigma lenses (film era but auto focus) and it was likely one of them that caused a problem when I left my K5 on "Aperture Ring Permitted". It wasn't too hard to find that this was causing the problem in these forums. Am pretty sure it wasn't using my old * IST or my K30. I have several Pentax lenses, from ancient to very recent but I can't remember which lens had the problem. Adam also says 'modern' lenses will not have a problem if the setting is left in "permitted" so that is surely true. But, there is a scenario where this setting will cause a problem. I'll experiment and get back on this. Tried searching but didn't get anywhere, must need to search for the exact problem, as I did at the time.
I picked one up the other day and can't say enough about how pleased I am. It's close enough to the DA 15 in center sharpness, and it just annihilates it in the corners. It has its drawbacks, but I'm very impressed with the quality of images I've seen from my informal testing. Very, very impressed. I'm actually thinking about picking up a spare.