Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Flashing settings screen on K-50

With normal light, in any mode the setting will flash (sometimes red) until a proper exposure is obtained the will switch to white and stop flashing... Here is the strange part - in less than ideal light (such as indoors with normal house lighting) every mode will flash red settings and never switch to white or stop flashing red even when a proper exposure is achieved. This is really annoying and leaves you wondering when a correct exposure is obtained... You can turn all the dials you want and it will always flash red... so you never really know when you have adjusted for a correct exposure.. All modes do this to include Auto and Program... even though you get a correctly exposed picture. It would seem like when you make adjustments that when you get a proper exposure that the red settings would turn white and stop flashing, indicating a correct exposure (it does this under normal light - so why not in dim light as well)... Strange....

09-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the ISO set to? Try setting it to auto, going into P mode, and pressing the green button before shooting. That should put all parameters within a normal range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
I tried that - still flashes red under low light - never goes solid and never turn white... Only turn white and goes solid under favorable light... I even tried setting the iso to 51,200 just to see... I have other camera's that under the same lighting will turn red to white and lock on and stop flashing... I am talking lighting that locks at 1600iso, f/3.5 and 1/10 shutter speed... The K-50 should have no problem with these setting to lock on, turn white and stop blinking red...
09-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote
The K-50 should have no problem with these setting to lock on, turn white and stop blinking red...
When we have gotten this question in the past, it has usually been because there was not enough light. Your meter is only functional from EV 0(100) to EV 20(100)*. Below or above that range the display will flash regardless of the set ISO. What is EV 0(100)? It is the amount of light that would require a 1 second exposure at f/1.0 at ISO 100. With your 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit lens, this would be 1s at f/4 at ISO 1600.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote
I am talking lighting that locks at 1600iso, f/3.5 and 1/10 shutter speed...
I am not sure what you mean by "locks". If the display is blinking, the numbers might not mean much. I would look for myself, but my friend who has the K-50 is out of the country. On my K-3 the displayed aperture is the widest for the lens and the displayed shutter speed seems to vary according to the ISO.

Steve

* A range of EV 0-20(100) is decent for an in-camera meter and is pretty much the norm for SLR cameras since the late 1970s.

---------- Post added 09-29-14 at 09:22 AM ----------

This is just a short note. I am not sure what type of subject you are wanting to shoot, but you might want to switch to M-mode and use an exposure based on one of the tables of exposures by subject types. Fred Parker's page is the classic and if you are willing to wade through all the text, his approach works quite well...

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Here is one specifically for night shooting...

Night photography exposure guide: free cheat sheet | Digital Camera World

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2014 at 09:26 AM.