Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
any recommendations for small case for primes, specifically DA limiteds?

Dear all,

Can anyone please give me some ideas for what you use to transport/protect your prime lenses out in the field (not just for storing at home)? I'm looking for a sub-8 inch length case with padding that can hold at least 2 DA limited prime lenses. I find dedicated camera bags somewhat bulky, and I'm happy wearing my medium-large backpack or Timbuk2 medium messenger bag that can hold other things. Currently, I've been using a Pentax S80-120 pouch with two primes attached to an Op Tech double cap holder, but that pouch seems thin and I'm not confident it'll protect my lenses in case it gets knocked on the bus, etc. Just hoping for something with better padding or a harder shell. I love how small the DA primes are, but am having some difficulty finding cases that hold them snug. Thanks for your help!

FYI I have the Pentax Limited 2 case and think it's great for storage, but more often than not, I don't need all 4 primes with me and would rather save on weight and space for just casual walks throughout the city. It's almost as if the original Limiteds case would've worked better for me, but can't find anyone who sells it anymore.

BTL

09-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is what I use for your scenario: SunCloud Active Zip Case.

Used for sunglasses but actually fits two DA limited primes very well. Not much padding and outer shell is not as hard as DA limited lens case, but it works pretty well.

$9 at REI
http://www.rei.com/product/799222/suncloud-active-zip-sunglass-case

Or $5 here:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/suncloud-active-sunglasses-case-black-woven.html
09-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Based on the recommendation and experiences in the thread below, I bought one and am very happy. I ( and the OP ) have the 11" version, containing several lenses, but they also offer an 8", which should have room for miscellaneous gear in addition to a couple of lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/273575...beautiful.html
09-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually, I have that 8" version. And this is a picture I found online with DA lenses in it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/266995...ml#post2865601

as you can see, though, it's far more than just 2 lenses, and thus may not offer any more space-saving than the DA limited lens case 2.

09-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hey thanks a lot. I think both options sound like they should work for what I'm looking for. I'm going to give the 8" Op Tech bag pack a try first.
09-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I had bought a Lowe Pro Rezo 60 I think it was to hold a Fuji X100 I had borrowed for a trip. It is now home to two of the three prime lenses I take with me when travelling light, the third is on the camera. It fits and two of my 28M/35 2.4/15Da/50 F1.7/DA70 and with a very tight fit the FE17-28 with one of the others. Plus room for a couple of memory cards and a spare battery. It is a slip lock case so you can fasten to your belt or onto a pack and I think it may of come with a strap but if it does I have never used it. If you fell on it while wearing it the padding is to the outside so you may feel your lenses against you. Howeever it may be discontinued, I will also check out the 8" Op TEch bag if I need another similiar size bag.
10-02-2014, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to you all. You gave me some good ideas. I went ahead and bought the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for my DFA 100 and the Lowepro Santiago DV35 that can hold any combination of two DA limited primes. I did try a different sunglasses case that was similar in size to your Suncloud but the OpTech double cap made it too fat to fit; also, I preferred that the case open on the vertical side rather than the horizontal orientation. This seems to work for what I'm looking for. The Santiago DV35 doesn't have much soft padding on the inside, but the shell is pretty stiff and seems to offer good protection. Previously, I kept looking for "lens pouches" and lens oriented bags and just couldn't find a good fit until now. I appreciate your help. Some images attached.

BTL

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Will keep your solution in mind whenever I get two or more DA Ltd primes
10-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BabyTeaLeaf Quote
Thanks to you all. You gave me some good ideas. I went ahead and bought the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for my DFA 100 and the Lowepro Santiago DV35 that can hold any combination of two DA limited primes. I did try a different sunglasses case that was similar in size to your Suncloud but the OpTech double cap made it too fat to fit; also, I preferred that the case open on the vertical side rather than the horizontal orientation. This seems to work for what I'm looking for. The Santiago DV35 doesn't have much soft padding on the inside, but the shell is pretty stiff and seems to offer good protection. Previously, I kept looking for "lens pouches" and lens oriented bags and just couldn't find a good fit until now. I appreciate your help. Some images attached.

BTL
That's funny! I use the same exact lowepro bag for my DFA 100.