Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #1

first pentax dslr and first post. have a few questions

hello. I've used a sony a200 since it came out. I couldn't afford anything real fancy (wanted something newer) but b and h had the k-500 for a good price. wasn't invested in my sony enough to keep me with sony if I didn't want. was a little hesitant on a pentax (I didn't know they were still around) but do not regret the decision one bit. so far I really like it. had it a few days and finally got to go out in the yard and shoot with it earlier. takes really nice pics. makes my ol sony look pretty bad. my mom who is a canon girl (she shoots with film) is impressed with it. I love how nice it is built and even the kit lens is really nice. my sony one felt fragile and cheap. my only gripe is the strap is really narrow and no eye cup cover.

I have questions and wondering about lenses

when in manual mode (what I shoot usually in) and I am moving the dials to adjust shutter speed and aperture, the ev bar scale is moving back and fourth at the same time. is that normal. I have been playing with settings and stuff and not sure if I did something. i thought it already broke on me when the dial was set to manual it was telling me it was in tav. I did figure that out the iso was set to auto. this camera is a lot different than how my sony worked so its confusing. I'm not real good with the photography lingo so I hope I am explaining this properly.

next thing is battery life. I should get the rechargeable today. been just using the battery holder and lithium aa battery it came with. when the battery life says 700 shots is that with the rechargeable or with aa batteries. with my sony battery I could get 700 on a charge but if after about 30 percent of the battery was used the overall performance started to drop off. so I always would switch out for a fresh one if I had it with me. wondering if the k-500 does the same thing.

okay wireless remote. my sony only used a corded one and I loved it for night stuff or using a tripod. I could be wrong but I think the pentax will do both. wondering if I should for the corded or the wireless because its infrared and have to be in front of it.

so about lenses and also mention 3rd party ones and also curious about the ca with film lenses. I end up overwhelming myself with reviews and all and I'd rather hear from what people use and enjoy. I'd like to know what I should start saving up for.

I won't really be able to afford a new lens until after the end of the year. unless my birthday is good to me which is in about 3 weeks and I think it is. might be able to just ask straight up for it. first lens I know I want to grab is a fast prime for indoor lower light and portroits. had the pleasure of shooting a couple of my very beautiful female friends. mostly so they have some sexy shots for their men and some that are facebook friendly. they even let me have the gift of a couple for just me... hehe. looking at the Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens for those purposes. I know I get to do some more shoots with these girls and their friends have shown interest. not charging or anything I just like taking pics. i don't really like people pics but I've had a blast doing it since I brushed up on how to pose and all. i'll take money though definitely lol.

second lens I know I want is a decent telephoto. like a 70mm-300mm or close. I never used mine much with my sony but I was never happy with it. it was a tamron but it also wasn't a digital lens. also wasn't very fast (f stop and focus) would like to get back into shooting wild life. birds more than anything. a good constant aperture would be nice but they can be pricey

3rd I know I want which I might get before a really long lens is a good general zoom lens that can cover most general things. better than the kit lens

thanks to all. I think I have a couple more questions at least about my new camera but I can't think of them again.

09-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moth_baller Quote
when in manual mode (what I shoot usually in) and I am moving the dials to adjust shutter speed and aperture, the ev bar scale is moving back and fourth at the same time. is that normal. I have been playing with settings and stuff and not sure if I did something. i thought it already broke on me when the dial was set to manual it was telling me it was in tav. I did figure that out the iso was set to auto. this camera is a lot different than how my sony worked so its confusing. I'm not real good with the photography lingo so I hope I am explaining this properly.
EV bar scale will move up or down as you adjust shutter speed / aperture. Since the light meter is always metering what your lens is seeing, moving the camera around will change the meter reading. Putting the pointer in the middle tells you what the camera think the exposure should be (it's not necessarily the best, but it's a good guideline)

It used to be that manual mode cannot set ISO to AUTO (the auto option doesnt appear), but I am guessing this was changed in K500. TAV really is Manual + AUTO ISO., I dont think it's broken, but someone with an actual k-500 can maybe tell you better.

QuoteQuote:
next thing is battery life. I should get the rechargeable today. been just using the battery holder and lithium aa battery it came with. when the battery life says 700 shots is that with the rechargeable or with aa batteries. with my sony battery I could get 700 on a charge but if after about 30 percent of the battery was used the overall performance started to drop off. so I always would switch out for a fresh one if I had it with me. wondering if the k-500 does the same thing.
In my experience pentax SLR dont drop in performance as battery level drops. It will perform the same until the battery is dead.

QuoteQuote:
okay wireless remote. my sony only used a corded one and I loved it for night stuff or using a tripod. I could be wrong but I think the pentax will do both. wondering if I should for the corded or the wireless because its infrared and have to be in front of it.
Just get both, as they each have their own use. They're pretty cheap on ebay.

QuoteQuote:
hehe. looking at the Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens for those purposes.
You're right, I also think the DA 50/1.8 is the best option for you at the moment. Get a used one from ebay or from this forum. Lenses are really though things and dont break easily. Even if you dont shoot people all the time, the 50mm is a very versatile lens that everyone should have imo.

QuoteQuote:
second lens I know I want is a decent telephoto. like a 70mm-300mm or close. I never used mine much with my sony but I was never happy with it. it was a tamron but it also wasn't a digital lens. also wasn't very fast (f stop and focus) would like to get back into shooting wild life. birds more than anything. a good constant aperture would be nice but they can be pricey
DA 55-300. Get the L version if you want cheap. Imo if you havent used your old telephoto much... it may not be your thing. I have a 70-300 just in case but I only use it once / twice a year.

QuoteQuote:
3rd I know I want which I might get before a really long lens is a good general zoom lens that can cover most general things. better than the kit lens
DA18-135, or the upcoming DA 16-85 if the price is sane. Are you sure you want a longer zoom? I recommend getting another prime, super wide angle, fisheye or wide aperture telephoto first. (I'd get the DA 35/2.4 if I'm you). IMO expanding your focal range is a higher priority than consolidating lenses. You can always change lenses but you can't transform your 18-55 into a wider aperture lens, or a fisheye. The kit lens at f/8 already performs pretty respectably.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-29-2014 at 06:07 AM.
09-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
It used to be that manual mode cannot set ISO to AUTO (the auto option doesnt appear), but I am guessing this was changed in K500
It's the same in my K-30, and I believe the K-01...
09-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind manual focus, there are certainly lots of old pentax film-era lenses around for you to play with in a variety of focal lengths, and many of them are very good without being even close to the cost of modern lenses. You can probably find a pentax-a 50mm f/2 for $20 online. I bought a 28mm off-brand for $5 at my local camera store. Goodwill/thrift stores and in some places, pawn shops, garage sales, shopgoodwill.com, the marketplace here... lots of options.

09-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the input. my sony didn't do that thing with the ev bar moving.

its definitely not broken. using google I was able to solve that issue by turning the iso off of auto and the camera showed back in manual mode. also just different than how the sony worked.

I did see that the wired and wireless remotes were cheap. I will just pick up both

good to know about the 50mm. I had already been eyeing that one down for a while.

I really didn't use my 70-300 because it had purple fringing issues and the focus was just so slow. was almost a pain to really use especially on moving subjects.

when I mention a decent general zoom. more for the fact that I sometimes just grab my camera and bring it with me and don't want to bring other lenses. I don't mind it if I am actually going out to specifically take pics seriously (or at least try).

narual - I would like to get away from always using auto focus. I don't mind film era lenses but curious about the purple fringing that film lenses can show with digitals. anytime i go to a thrift store I've always looked for lenses for the sony. never had any luck. anytime i see film camera stuff i always check to see if it will fit since it can be had cheaply.

also with the silkypix software. i already have cs6 and wondering if the silkypix is of any value to me. i have to take apart my computer and reinstall the cd-rom if i really want to use it.
09-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...when in manual mode (what I shoot usually in) and I am moving the dials to adjust shutter speed and aperture, the ev bar scale is moving back and fourth at the same time. is that normal. I have been playing with settings and stuff and not sure if I did something. i thought it already broke on me when the dial was set to manual it was telling me it was in tav. I did figure that out the iso was set to auto. this camera is a lot different than how my sony worked so its confusing. I'm not real good with the photography lingo so I hope I am explaining this properly...
The owner's manuals have recently gotten bad. They do mention the small details once but sure don't explain them.

Manual Mode: this mode is supposed to leave the three main exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) up to you. But as you discovered, the camera is set to use Auto ISO by default, so you are not really in M mode until you switch off Auto ISO. (The camera display shows you TAv because that's how TAv mode works.)

The camera light meter still measures light when you half-press the shutter, but the shutter speed, aperture and ISO don't change at all because you are in full control of them. The light meter displays its measurements on the bar scale. If your settings are really off (more than 3 stops plus or minus), the scale blinks red. If you want some idea of starting settings, press the green button. The camera will change shutter speed, aperture and ISO to numbers that give you a centered bar scale display. Then you can decide on changing individual settings from there. The bar scale will show you the effect of each change.

Sometimes the light meter might not measure your scene correctly. One example is a scene with snow; the meter will underexpose. You can use the Ev button to bias the meter for these conditions. That way you don't have to think about the meter's error every time you meter. You are telling the camera that you want the zero point to be a little different than the camera's suggestion, and to keep measuring light like that. Make sure to reset the Ev compensation after you finish shooting under those conditions. I don't let the camera memorize Ev compensation for this reason. Page 216 of the manual shows how to control this. That way, when you turn the camera off, the Ev compensation resets to zero.
09-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
i agree the manual is a little unhelpful considering how big it is.

when i first put the camera in manual it said manual. but then i was playing with settings and it had got put into auto iso and that freaked me out when i turned back to manual and it said tav. i hadn't even really taken any pics with it yet.

i was actually going to ask what the blinking red meant as i just noticed it. thanks for clearing that up.
10-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

narual - I would like to get away from always using auto focus. I don't mind film era lenses but curious about the purple fringing that film lenses can show with digitals. anytime i go to a thrift store I've always looked for lenses for the sony. never had any luck. anytime i see film camera stuff i always check to see if it will fit since it can be had cheaply.

also with the silkypix software. i already have cs6 and wondering if the silkypix is of any value to me. i have to take apart my computer and reinstall the cd-rom if i really want to use it.
Some of it has fringing, but then, digital lenses can, too. Using an appropriate hood and not shooting wide open cuts down on it a lot, and it's fairly easy to fix in post, at least in Lightroom.

If you're saying you have Photoshop CS6, I don't know if I'd consider it the ideal tool for managing your photos. It's a great tool for doing lots of post-production work on a single photo, but not for developing photos, especially en masse.

I only tried Silkypix once and uninstalled it because its as a pain to use, but you don't have to do any hardware replacement - you can just download it from the website here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

10-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
I know both do the fringing thing but film lenses are more prone to it. I just have my photos organized in windows. by category then by date. or if its a person I've shot they get their own folder then by date. I just go through looking by large thumbnails. then just double click on what I want to edit or view. not the most ideal but the way I've done it for a long time so I am stuck in my ways. I do have a bunch to go through and do all the post and I do see that the one at a time is a bit time consuming. but I just do it in my spare time and can give the files as I get them done or like with my lady friend I shot I just let her go into my google drive and download what she wants if I can't swing by with a memory card. I would like to get to a point where I could do some stuff on the side. I might have a couple things I get to do. I know I will need a better system once I have some sort of deadline probably.

---------- Post added 10-06-14 at 11:27 PM ----------

oh and cool if I want to try silkypix I can just download it. I figured it was one of those things you only got when you bought a camera.