Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #1

Exposure for asahi pentax mv slr film camera 35mm?

I just pyrchased a Ashai Pentax MV 35mm Slr Film camera. I put new batteries in and the meter isn't lighting. Is this normal? How do you tell the exposure? Thanks.

09-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! You can download a copy of the manual at:

Pentax Manuals (pdf password = "Pentax")

The MV is aperture priority automation only with limited viewfinder information:

Red: overexposure, use a smaller aperture
Green: appropriate shutter speed for hand-held
Yellow: Below 1/30s, use a wider aperture or if that fails, a tripod or flash. Maximum exposure is one second.

Half-press the shutter button to actuate metering. If you are not seeing anything make sure the mode dial is on "Auto" and you have fresh batteries (silver oxide cells preferred) and that the batteries are inserted with the "+" facing inward toward the camera body.

Steve
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigtimedreamer333 Quote
I just pyrchased a Ashai Pentax MV 35mm Slr Film camera. I put new batteries in and the meter isn't lighting. Is this normal? How do you tell the exposure? Thanks.
Also, make sure the batteries are inserted facing the right way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! You can download a copy of the manual at:

Pentax Manuals (pdf password = "Pentax")

The MV is aperture priority automation only with limited viewfinder information:

Red: overexposure, use a smaller aperture
Green: appropriate shutter speed for hand-held
Yellow: Below 1/30s, use a wider aperture or if that fails, a tripod or flash. Maximum exposure is one second.

Half-press the shutter button to actuate metering. If you are not seeing anything make sure the mode dial is on "Auto" and you have fresh batteries (silver oxide cells preferred) and that the batteries are inserted with the "+" facing inward toward the camera body.

Steve
I had the batteries in right. It's still not lighting.

09-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you purchased your batteries from a drug store, they could be dead out of the box. Take the camera to a local camera shop and have them check out the camera and the battery.
I used to work at camera shop and would get people all the time who bought a battery from the local drug store that day and it was dead even though the package said it would good for years.
Buying the battery from a camera shop will ensure that you don't buy one that has been sitting on the shelf for a few years.