Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 02:40 AM   #1

Anyone have any veiws on this

HI All
Great looking website and nice to be somewhere that actually goes into depth with Pentax systems. I grew up (many many years ago) with what at the time was cutting edge SLR technology. I finally moved to digital recently and what a concept and difference it makes to the old SLR technology. I have the usual few bits of dust on my focus screen and wondered if anyone has ever tried cleaning a focus screen with one of those vibrating water baths that jewellers use to clean gold and diamonds etc. I was deciding whether to put distilled water into the machine I have, which shouldn't leave any streaks on the screen. My plan was to take out my focus screen and while wearing surgical gloves hold it just above the bottom of the machine for a few seconds to see if it eliminates the accumulated dust and dirt. I thought I would try asking here to see if anyone has ever used this method. Anyway thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

10-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of doing that. For one it isn't really necessary. Usually carefully taking it out and using a rocket blower suffices or using a camel hair brush and blowing afterwards works but you need to be in as much of a dust free area as possible otherwise more dust will get on it while putting the screen back in.. Submerging your screen in or using any type of liquid can compound the problem. For one how are you going to dry it without taking the chance of scratching your screen. You could use some type of blower to dry it but if you aren't in a completely dust free area the moisture and blowing it while wet would attract more dust causing it to stick to the screen and become more difficult to remove. Then you have to take into consideration the screen has a slight rough surface to it and using moisture would usually fill it with dusty dirt where the chance of streaking the screen would make it next to impossible to remove...
10-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those screens are remarkably easy to scratch. I would not suggest taking it out and washing or anything else. As @Oldbayrunner suggested use a rocket blower and perhaps a soft bristle brush.
10-02-2014, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Evious Quote
while wearing surgical gloves
If you wear surgical or exam gloves, be sure they are the powderless variety.

The ultrasonic cleaner may be a bit of overkill. Here are a few links to FAQ pages related to cleaning on the on the KatzEye site:

cleaning - KatzEye Optics

Steve

10-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, I leave the focusing screen alone. I have swapped my *istD and K10D screens back and forth, and installed finally split image screens in both, but I don't bother with dust. It does not impact the image or focusing and most people get into more trouble than it is worth.

If you want your body cleaned, send it to pentax
10-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

It's got to be overkill... The ultrasonic baths are useful to get all the hard to reach dirt between the prongs on a diamond ring or links in a necklace, but I don't you usually get that kind of dirt on the focusing screen. I can see it maybe loosening dirt from the Fresnel screen... I think the major concern using any solution on the focusing screen is residual residue. Other than that, I don't think of the ultrasonic baths really being abrasive.
11-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
HI All
Great looking website and nice to be somewhere that actually goes into depth with Pentax systems. I grew up (many many years ago) with what at the time was cutting edge SLR technology. I finally moved to digital recently and what a concept and difference it makes to the old SLR technology. I have the usual few bits of dust on my focus screen and wondered if anyone has ever tried cleaning a focus screen with one of those vibrating water baths that jewellers use to clean gold and diamonds etc. I was deciding whether to put distilled water into the machine I have, which shouldn't leave any streaks on the screen. My plan was to take out my focus screen and while wearing surgical gloves hold it just above the bottom of the machine for a few seconds to see if it eliminates the accumulated dust and dirt. I thought I would try asking here to see if anyone has ever used this method. Anyway thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.
Hi all
Thanks to all who answered my query. I found an old focus screen from my pentax K30 camera and me being me I though I would give it a try. I put on rubber gloves put distilled water into my sonic bath and held the screen just above the bottom of the bath. I gave it a couple of minutes and too it out. I then gave it a good shake and as distilled water doesn't leave a residue unlike plain water. I let it dry naturally and tried it the following day and the bath had removed all of the dust and left a clean dust free screen which I put back into my camera. It worked perfectly. I don't suggest that everyone tries it but if you have an old screen that you no longer use and a sonic bath then it might be the way forward, it's certainly cheaper than buying a new one. I would stress however that maybe I was just lucky and I certainly would not advise it on a screen that you currently use, but if you have a dirty one that you will never use and your keeping it buried in the back of a drawer it might be worth a shot.

11-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi all
Thanks to all who answered my query. I found an old focus screen from my pentax K30 camera and me being me I though I would give it a try. I put on rubber gloves put distilled water into my sonic bath and held the screen just above the bottom of the bath. I gave it a couple of minutes and too it out. I then gave it a good shake and as distilled water doesn't leave a residue unlike plain water. I let it dry naturally and tried it the following day and the bath had removed all of the dust and left a clean dust free screen which I put back into my camera. It worked perfectly. I don't suggest that everyone tries it but if you have an old screen that you no longer use and a sonic bath then it might be the way forward, it's certainly cheaper than buying a new one. I would stress however that maybe I was just lucky and I certainly would not advise it on a screen that you currently use, but if you have a dirty one that you will never use and your keeping it buried in the back of a drawer it might be worth a shot.
It's a little spine-chilling, but thanks for trying this and reporting back!
11-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have always been successful with a rocket blower. It seems to work fine and is easy enough to do.

11-08-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have always been successful with a rocket blower. It seems to work fine and is easy enough to do.

I would also try this first! In my film cameras I never cleaned this other way and learnt to live with some particles. I'm just in fear to get some focus issues if I do not mount it properly.
11-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
I would also try this first! In my film cameras I never cleaned this other way and learnt to live with some particles. I'm just in fear to get some focus issues if I do not mount it properly.
Agreed! Unless it interferes with focus or metering it is probably best to just put up with it.