Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USB Connectivity

I have a K-30 and am going on a long trip - of course taking it and several lenses. Usually I take my laptop so I can do some backing up of images and some 'pre-work' on them. However, due to the nature of this trip I'm probably not going to take the laptop.

I know I can connect the K-30 to a computer via the USB connection and the K-30 looks like a drive to the computer. What I'd like to do is connect the K-30 via the USB connector to an Android based tablet - is that possible? Will is work? I can't test this myself because I don't have a cable with the correct USB connectors.

Thanks for any input.

10-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if that's possible, but if you have a Samsung tablet, you can connect a card reader with this: Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Electronics. I don't know if this capability is unique to Samsung, or if it's an Android thing as I've only had Samsung.

Without having tried to do what you want to do I would guess that it is possible as the type of computer connection is selected in the camera, not what it's connected to.
10-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will need a USB OTG cable (about $3), and an app to import the media. If the camera doesn't mount a USB card reader will.

How to Connect USB Storage Devices to Your Android Phone
10-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When traveling with my K-50 and Samsung Galaxy tablet, I use a 32GB MicroSD card with adapter in the camera and shoot .JPG files onto it. Then I can put the MicroSD card directly into the tablet's card slot.

10-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The little card readers work well. So do the card adapters - well enough to not bother with the cable.
10-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know if that's possible, but if you have a Samsung tablet, you can connect a card reader with this: Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Electronics. I don't know if this capability is unique to Samsung, or if it's an Android thing as I've only had Samsung.

Without having tried to do what you want to do I would guess that it is possible as the type of computer connection is selected in the camera, not what it's connected to.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You will need a USB OTG cable (about $3), and an app to import the media. If the camera doesn't mount a USB card reader will.

How to Connect USB Storage Devices to Your Android Phone
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When traveling with my K-50 and Samsung Galaxy tablet, I use a 32GB MicroSD card with adapter in the camera and shoot .JPG files onto it. Then I can put the MicroSD card directly into the tablet's card slot.

Thanks all for the speedy replies. I guess I'll just have to run down to the local Frys and pick up a cable and test it out.

---------- Post added 10-02-2014 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The little card readers work well. So do the card adapters - well enough to not bother with the cable.

Thanks for the info - I'll just have to check out the options.
10-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gorilla Gadgets has a couple, plus other adapters - and lots of battery options for us Android types. (and external batteries for everyone)
5-in-1 Micro OTG USB Adapter & Smart Card Reader
10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

The OTG port at tablet can be either in host mode or device mode. The camera is always a device. When connect the camera to a OTG port directly with a OTG cable, be sure the host side is to the tablet and device side is camera. Since the K-30 has a combo Video/PC port instead of standard USB port and tablet has Micro USB port, you would need to find right cable or use adapter to make it work. (The cable came with camera is standard USB type-A plug on other end.)

10-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

RavPower. Get one at Amazon etc. for $45. It has SD card slot and USB slot for thumb drive. It creates its own wifi signal and with the free app on your tablet or phone you can zip pix from the camera SD card to your device, and pix from your device back to SD card or thumb drive. All at fast speed from the RavPower units built in wifi signal. It works great. Oh yeah, it also has an internal 3000ma battery for recharging phones and tablets etc.
10-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twey Quote
The OTG port at tablet can be either in host mode or device mode. The camera is always a device. When connect the camera to a OTG port directly with a OTG cable, be sure the host side is to the tablet and device side is camera. Since the K-30 has a combo Video/PC port instead of standard USB port and tablet has Micro USB port, you would need to find right cable or use adapter to make it work. (The cable came with camera is standard USB type-A plug on other end.)
QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
RavPower. Get one at Amazon etc. for $45. It has SD card slot and USB slot for thumb drive. It creates its own wifi signal and with the free app on your tablet or phone you can zip pix from the camera SD card to your device, and pix from your device back to SD card or thumb drive. All at fast speed from the RavPower units built in wifi signal. It works great. Oh yeah, it also has an internal 3000ma battery for recharging phones and tablets etc.
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Gorilla Gadgets has a couple, plus other adapters - and lots of battery options for us Android types. (and external batteries for everyone)
5-in-1 Micro OTG USB Adapter & Smart Card Reader

Thanks again to all for your suggestions - I decided to buy the RavPower device - should have it tomorrow.