Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Camera maintenance/cleaning (netherlands)

Hi all,

I am looking for a place in netherlands where i can get my K-5 cleaned. there is dirt on my lenses and some spots on the mirror, and i have no idea how to clean it myself. Does anyone know a good place, preferably in the east/south of netherlands?

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
Regine

10-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust on the mirror will usually blow off very easily. Do not touch the mirror though - it's very delicate and if you bumped it with your blower, you most likely will need a service agent.
As for dirt on your lenses: Again, lots of posts here - see for instance this one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/271116-l...ning-tips.html
Also, dust on sensor: See for instance https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/272652-d...exposures.html

Stay out of the camera with tinned air, brushes and swabs if you can help it. There's almost no dirt (note I say almost) that won't be shifted with a Rocket Blower. When blowing air into your camera, do not allow the blower nozzle to bump against the mirror or other parts in there - you can cause expensive damage.

For lenses, a small drop of isopropyl alcohol on a clean, new, soft wipe will do the trick if you can's shift dirt with only the blower. Some will say this may damage lens coatings - I think not. The active ingredient in pre-wetted Zeiss camera lens wipes is simply isopropyl alcohol. Do not drip any liquid cleaner straight onto the lens surface as the fluid can migrate into places it should not. Unlikely, but possible. Try to keep your camera, lenses, camera bag etc as clean as possible. With lots of loose matter swirling around, there's more chance of some of that floating into places you don't want. Do not use window cleaner or other proprietary glass cleaners - These all contain additives you do not want on your lenses.

Mirror or focus screen dust is an annoyance but won't affect your photos. Remember that, no matter how carefully you change your lenses - At some point you'll find dust in the camera. Most of it will blow out. It's rare, but possible that a bit of nicely sticky pollen or some such material can find it's way onto your camera's sensor, but it's rare. Sensor wet cleaning, or any form of 'contact' cleaning should be avoided and is best left to the professionals. Many people here do wet clean their camera's sensor. I have never needed to and if I did, I would have it professionally done.

Sorry, I did not really answer your question!