Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Mode memory?

So on the K5 if you are in Av mode and change the aperture, soon as you go back to TAv it will over-ride your previous aperture value in that mode and use whatever you were using in Av mode.

Is there a way to turn this off? Ideally I'd like for it to remember each setting I used in each mode, and re-use these when you switch.

I've not seen this in any of the menus as an option. It took me a while to realize this was even happening. Previous Canon 'remembered' all the settings and re-used them.

Thanks so much.

10-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I don't believe there is a way to modify this behavior.

On the K-3 (and my K10D before it, IIRC) the pattern is that the last set values are the basis for the next settings when switching between Tv, Av, TAv, and M modes. Sv and P modes are outside this rule. In other words, the settings that don't vary are remembered. The wild card is manually set ISO. It remains the same except for TAv and Sv modes. In the latter case it is always the last set value for that mode.

Example:
  • Aperture set to f/8 in Av mode
  • Switch to TAv and it is still f/8
  • Shutter set to 1/500s in TAv mode
  • Switch to M mode and shutter is still 1/500 and aperture is still f/8
  • Switch to Tv mode and the shutter is still 1/500 with aperture floating to f/2.8 to make the appropriate exposure
  • Take a shot
  • Switch to Av mode and aperture is still at f/8
I don't know how this differs from Canon, but I believe that the behavior is consistent for Pentax and is valid/logical.

Steve
10-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can see either method being useable.

Never thought much about it... I think I like the settings staying close to whatever I am doing at the moment. If I am in Av with f/4 and move to manual to control shutter, I think I like aperture still being f/4... it is what I thought was good only moments before...

Now... if you use a User mode, will it retain last set aperture and shutter. Not sure and I have a not A lens on right now. If it does, this might some help you out..?

Wouldn't be the same as the Canon but would let you play freely with settings and other modes but know exactly where you start each time you enter User...

+ Went to check on K20 and it does not remember aperture between User and M. So, same Pentax behavior. K5 User remembers more than K20 User so might still be worth a try...

Last edited by Tan68; 10-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
10-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
It does make sense for it to keep it 'close' to what you're currently doing, but I often find myself wanting to use a different mode to quickly switch what I'm doing, and then simply go back to the mode I was in to resume what I was doing before. I'm sure I'll get used to it now that I'm more conscious about it.

Thanks for confirming I'm not missing anything here.