Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

What's causing these spots?

Shot below taken with my K-30 and the DA 35 Ltd. 2.8.

I've tried using a blower on the mirror, but still seeing the dark spots that you see here on the image (one to the right, and a couple higher and more to the left). Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images

10-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like ordinary dust on the sensor.

Using a blower on the "mirror" will have little effect on sensor dust. You need to use the cleaning function to actually lock the mirror up and expose the sensor filter. THEN you can use a rocket blower to remove most dust. Be sure you don't extend the tip of the blower inside the body cavity, risking actually touching the filter, which would be bad. If repeated use of the in-camera dust removal (shake) system, coupled with blowing out the interior does not remove the spots, you may have to look into wet cleaning the sensor.
10-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
Shot below taken with my K-30 and the DA 35 Ltd. 2.8.

I've tried using a blower on the mirror, but still seeing the dark spots that you see here on the image (one to the right, and a couple higher and more to the left). Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
My guess is sensor dust... I guess you were quite stopped down for them to show up like this.

edit: abmj beat me to it
10-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for the quick replies. Yes, I was stopped way down, due to the sun. I will attempt the sensor cleaning as described. Thanks again.

10-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Banned

It's dust on the sensor, not the mirror. Try the dust removal feature first, if that fails, then blow the sensor with the camera facing down so the dust falls out. See your manual for instructions on dust removal. If those fail as well, search the forums for wet cleaning to see if it's something you'd want to attempt yourself.
10-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It's dust on the sensor, not the mirror. Try the dust removal feature first, if that fails, then blow the sensor with the camera facing down so the dust falls out. See your manual for instructions on dust removal. If those fail as well, search the forums for wet cleaning to see if it's something you'd want to attempt yourself.
Thanks Al.
10-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There no image meta information but I'm guessing you are using a pretty small aperture (f16 or smaller)?
This would explain dust showing up so clearly.

10-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bulb mode or 30 sec shutter speed; and I think having the camera upside down is less important than application of a careful and forceful jet of air--easier done with the camera resting with the sensor facing upwards--anyway if you find it is not dislodged after upside down. You can always repeat it upside down with a second less forceful jet.