Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Help - something strange after dust clearing. Pentax K-x

I have been scrolling through all these threads trying to find the answer to my problem before asking but I just can't find anything close to what I'm experiencing. I did a dust find, dust clear & then lifted the mirror to clean the sensor & now I have a dark shadow that covers three quarters of my shots. I can't see this shadow when using the view finder but on LV & on the shots on the memory card I can. I have a Pentax K-x. I've tried using two other lenses & the result is the same so I'm sure I've done something when I've tried to clear the dust. Is this something I can resolve or do I need to take it to a repair shop? I'll try to put up a couple of examples. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"lifted the mirror"...manually? Looks like the shutter is jammed.
10-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That take the idea of "composition" to a whole other level!
Sorry I couldn't resist. I hope you find the solution to your problem.
10-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter capping is the technical term. The trailing curtain is catching the leading curtain part way through its travel.

$$$

Steve

---------- Post added 10-06-14 at 07:04 PM ----------

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

10-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you check it in liveview with the lens off, is the mirror and the shutter open? To me the shadow looks crooked so maybe you crooked the mirror-mechanism when lifting? I've never heard of lifting the mirror manually when cleaning, only using the sensor cleaning mode (don't know anything about the K-x).
10-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shutter capping is the technical term. The trailing curtain is catching the leading curtain part way through its travel.

$$$

Steve

---------- Post added 10-06-14 at 07:04 PM ----------

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!
Says it shows in live view so maybe mirror not moving completely out of the way?
10-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sounds like I've bumped something I shouldn't have. It sounded so easy to clean when I read the manual - I should have taken it to get it cleaned professionally. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll have to take it in as I'm not game enough to try anything in case I make it worse!!

10-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It was rather that you missed point three on page 288 in the manual, it never says lift it manually:
Name:  ScreenShot397.gif
Views: 337
Size:  35.7 KB
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

How did you keep the shutter open?
10-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It seems likely that you have bumped the mirror and maybe bent the mechanism.

If you didn't bump anything, then maybe you could try this routine to see if the mirror will reset itself. This won't make anything worse, so it's worth a try at least.
1. turn off camera and remove the lens
2. turn camera on
3. select sensor cleaning in the set up menu 4 (spanner / wrench menu)
4. use the four way control to select mirror up and press OK.
5. turn off the camera
6. attach lens.

See how that went... good luck.
10-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
This is what it looks like in LV with the lens off.
Attached Images

10-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

OK, well forget what I said above.
Like VisualDarkness said - did you move the mirror out of the way by hand?
10-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for suggestions. They came through while I was waiting for the pic to upload. I'll try to do the sensor clean again - the correct way (I can't remember moving touching anything while using the blower but maybe I did without realising??????
10-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Your last hope before going for a service (or new camera) would be to install fresh batteries. But it does look like the shutter is jammed.
10-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Your last hope before going for a service (or new camera) would be to install fresh batteries. But it does look like the shutter is jammed.
I changed the batteries in the hope that's what the problem was when this first happened so it looks like I need to take it in to have it looked at & go from there.
10-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Did you stick the blower past the shutter (the stuck thing there)? Most likely if you did put it that far in you probably touched something or less likely some dust flew off and blocked it.
I got no idea how the mechanical linkage between the shutter and mirror looks like. Do you guys know if the shutter is open behind the mirror or if there is a mechanical linkage between them?

---------- Post added 10-07-14 at 05:25 AM ----------

Oh, and the shutter looks crooked to me. The side with the greyish thing looks to be more open than the other and that shows in the sample shot you have in the original post. Something made it end up diagonally and get stuck.