Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Metering Method

I will be shooting outdoor portraits of a single subject in a park. I will have off camera flash and reflector kit and I'am wondering what metering mode would be the best choice? Thank You (Sorry have K5lls)

10-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Typically centre weighed metreing is the best IMHO
10-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Typically centre weighed metreing is the best IMHO
Thanks, TTL works fine in Center weighted metering?
10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As far as I know, I have never really needed to use a flash for most of what I do, so I can't say for sure.

10-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual does not say it that explicitly, but it does say:

QuoteQuote:
The flash pre-flashes before the actual flash... using the camera 77-segment metering sensor.
That's at the bottom of page 168. It isn't mentioned elsewhere that I could find. I think they mean you should use matrix metering for P-TTL.

I get frustrated quickly with the camera decisions and flash. Instead, I switch to M mode. Set shutter speed to match the subject movement and lens, say 1/30 minimum, 1/180 maximum because that's the camera limit. Aperture for the right depth of field. ISO for the ambient background exposure you want. I have a Pentax AF560FGZ and I allow that to stay in P-TTL auto. If the flash is too bright, the flash has exposure controls and the camera Flash Exposure Compensation controls add to that. It means a few test shots but skips over metering mostly. You need to adjust if your ambient light changes during the shoot.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 10-07-2014 at 03:20 PM.
10-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would use center weighted or spot because the flash will fall off a you move behind the subject leaving it to under expose. I am not sure the multi segment metering will figure out foreground and background for flash
10-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I will be shooting outdoor portraits of a single subject in a park. I will have off camera flash and reflector kit and I'am wondering what metering mode would be the best choice? Thank You (Sorry have K5lls)
Some guidance here Balancing Flash and Ambient and here
10-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks again for the help! Been shooting with the center weighted meteringBr and seems to have made a differance, will continue to try different modes. BrookeM thanks, YouTube video has alot of great information! Thanks again(Sorry keys are to small

10-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Good luck on this. Conventional wisdom on this site is to shoot full manual (M-mode with no P-TTL) for off-camera flash. As with the comment above, I am not much of a flash shooter, but have found P-TTL to be frustrating for many subjects.

Steve
10-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good luck on this. Conventional wisdom on this site is to shoot full manual (M-mode with no P-TTL) for off-camera flash. As with the comment above, I am not much of a flash shooter, but have found P-TTL to be frustrating for many subjects.

Steve
Thanks Steve, Will Shoot Metz 52 p-ttl and try my new cactus set up on manuel. This gives me some options and so far really like the v6 & rf60.