Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help, what settings to shoot the lunar eclipse?

Hi All,

I need some help on what settings to use to photograph the lunar eclipse tonight...

I will be using my Pentax K10D and 75-300mm most likely at 300mm on a tripod. I'm will set on manual focus and use RAW DNG. Now the question is considering the camera body which setting would be optimal for the least amount of noise?

I'm thinking maybe ISO400 to keep noise levels down but not sure? (the K10D gets pretty noisy above ISO400)

What would be the best shutter and aperture? (wide open at 300mm on that lens is around F5.8, is it best to go wide open or stop down a bit? shutter speed?)

Would you guys use completely different settings?

Looks like it's going to be a full moon tonight and hoping the weather plays nice here in Brisbane!!

Thanks for the help!
Gordon

10-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would put the camera in spot mode. This is useful since the moon is bright and the rest of the sky is black. If you use one of the averaging modes, it will try to average the black sky in with the bright moon - and you will greatly over expose. You will need to put the center of the sensor on the moon in order to meter.

If you want to shoot all manual, you can use the sunny 16 rule.

Its really cloudy out now for us with rain predicted this evening and all day tomorrow...

Hope you all get some good images!

10-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The last shot I took of the super moon with my old Soligor 400 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwi_jono/14698746247/) used the following settings:
* Manual mode
* MF focussed using max magnification in LV
* Aperture f8 (or was it f11 - I remember trying both)
* ISO 400
* Shutter 1/500
* WB: Auto (although does not matter for RAW).

I used ISO400 because its pretty clean on K-5. Then I experimented with a range of apertures versus shutter speed and found it was best to err on the side of faster shutter speed (due to movement of the moon relative to the photographer).

I imagine that for 300mm a slower shutter speed like 1/250 would be Ok.

Have fun!

Might want to bracket exposures too because correct exposure not overly obvious until you see it on a monitor.
10-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The exposure will be relatively low--as the earth is blocking most of the sun light. I suggest you pick an f stop where your lens is good (1 stop closed maybe?), and a safe shutter speed to avoid motion blur due to moving earth/moon, and spot meter to set iso. If you google moon photography you should find guidance on shutter speed for the FL you plan to use. Some zooms are poor in IQ at the long end and you may want to stop short of the end FL.

10-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

The sweet spot for my lens appears to be around F7.1/F8 so will try those. Then will experiment with shutter speed and ISO to see what works best. I don't have live view on the K10D as it is an older sensor but I do have the Pentax Remote Assistant that i might play with... Would love access one of the 80mm Pentax spotting scopes as I still have my PF-CA35 scope adapter but no time left to organise that now!
10-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

From what I read online, you should need something like f/11 @ 1/125th at ISO 100 or equivalents for different ISO speed or aperture.
10-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've started preparing my camera... RAW DNG, full manual control, ISO200 for now, manual AF, SR off for tripod. Going to try with aperture F7.1 to start. And 12 seconds timer. I don't think the K10D has mirror lock up?

10-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah it does.
10-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do I activate mirror up on the K10D?

---------- Post added 10-08-2014 at 05:32 AM ----------

Ah don't worry, the 2 second timer locks it up...

Do you know if the 12 second timer does the same?
10-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking at my photos from April's eclipse. You can focus on the moon before the eclipse starts. It's better than trying it later. The moon was much darker than I expected in the middle of the eclipse, and I wasn't that happy with decisions I made on the fly. I think the biggest problems were motion blur from shutter speed being too slow, and worrying too much about lens quality. This time I'm shooting closer to wide open and using a high ISO, hoping to kill the noise in processing. I'm going to rely a lot on using a K-5 IIs instead of a K-7. Actually I plan to put my Tokina 400mm f5.6 on the K-5 IIs, an SMC Pentax 300mm f4 on the K-7 and a Tamron 90mm macro on the *ist DS. I plan to stop each lens down just a bit from wide open, try to keep shutter speed reasonable and see how ISO works out.
10-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I was looking at my photos from April's eclipse. You can focus on the moon before the eclipse starts. It's better than trying it later. The moon was much darker than I expected in the middle of the eclipse, and I wasn't that happy with decisions I made on the fly. I think the biggest problems were motion blur from shutter speed being too slow, and worrying too much about lens quality. This time I'm shooting closer to wide open and using a high ISO, hoping to kill the noise in processing. I'm going to rely a lot on using a K-5 IIs instead of a K-7. Actually I plan to put my Tokina 400mm f5.6 on the K-5 IIs, an SMC Pentax 300mm f4 on the K-7 and a Tamron 90mm macro on the *ist DS. I plan to stop each lens down just a bit from wide open, try to keep shutter speed reasonable and see how ISO works out.
Topaz Denoise is your best friend... Does amazing job in removing the ISO noise.