Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mount for Manfrotto quick release plate

Hello All

Please forgive me if an answer to this already exists; I have searched the forums but found nothing. Fair enough, it isn't specific to Pentax but hopefully, one of you will be able to help.

I have a Velbon "V4-unit", which is some kind of projecting arm that I bought a couple of years ago with a view to using it to control focus for macro photography with a Sigma 70mm macro lens on my K 5 II.

Now that I am better equipped to try some worthwhile macro stuff, I want to be able to change my camera/head/tripod configuration at will, without resorting to a screwdriver (I have a couple of Manfrotto tripods, each with a quick-release mechanism).

Currently, the base of the Velbon mounts to either of my tripods via a standard Manfrotto quick-release plate. The working end of the Velbon has a 6mm/1/4" (whichever?) male nub.

What I need is a quick-release base - not the plate which fixes to the camera but the base which is usually an integral part of a tripod head. Yes, I could get a normal head to fix to the working end of the Velbon but that would seem to me excessively expensive and introduce more complexity (in terms of movement) than I want. What I need is just the quick-release base, the part which accepts the quick-release plate that I normally keep permanently attached to the camera. This item would then, ideally, be permanently fixed to the working end of the Velbon. Never mind the nub diameter, I am sure I could find an adapter.

Again, forgive me if the forum already holds an answer and I sincerely hope I am not missing something obvious.

10-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Google-- tripod quick release adapter.
If needed, you can get a 1/4 to 3/8 bushing to mount the adapter to the end of your boom arm.
10-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this what you are looking for? I don't think the base is sold by itself. It comes with the qr plate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ASU1QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
10-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A caution--the prior email show a QR adapter/plate that was changed to include a cutout and thus (the adapter) may not accept the older QR plates. Just in case yours are the older style--I believe they were #1579 or something like that. I have the older style and the change was likely a decade or two ago.

Actually I believe older style (it was Bogen at the time) was 3157 and newer is 3157N, and I don't know if the newer base will accept the older QR plate.

Last edited by dms; 10-08-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fix QR plate part No., etc.
10-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi DDS,

Manfrotto makes something like 5 different QR clamps (thus the RC 2, RC 5, etc designations) The RC 2 is probably the most common. The clamp in the link from psychdoc points to an RC 2 type and is most likely the one that you need.

Before you commit to this, I would suggest that you look into changing the clamp/plate system that you use. The Arca Swiss clamp/plate is easily the closest to a universal QR system, and allows infinitely more versatile and secure connections between the camera/lenses and the tripod head. I started with Manfrotto RC 2 QRs and plates 10 years ago, and soon found that they lacked stability when I started shooting longer/faster telephoto lenses (read big and heavy, and needing increased stability). They also prevented me from easily balancing the camera/lens on a ballhead since the plate does not allow much repositioning leeway front to back. Also, probably irrelevant to you, virtually all gimbal head mfgs have standardized on Arca compatible clamps because they do allow the positional leeway, and balance is everything when using a gimbal head. Manfrotto has essentially admitted this by their relatively recent offering of Arca compatible clamps as options for their heads.

You might consider this all as overkill, and only want the least expensive alternative at this time, but if you plan to use tripods quite a bit, then I'd seriously consider an Arca compatible alternative. Take a look at

Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

and

OEC Camera Accessories

to see some of the options currently available, and more are being developed all the time. This is easily the most versatile mounting system available.

Scott
10-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. I thought I had already searched on "tripod quick release adapter" but apparently not, since I have now , thanks to you, found what I want. ... or at least what I thought I wanted!

My clamp is indeed an RC2 so the adapters I have seen online and as indicated by psychdoc would work. However, snostorm's advice made me consider again. I had been looking at my Giottos 3-way head, in which the clamp is an integral part of the head and I hadn't realised that the Manfrotto clamp can be changed. For now though, I will stick with the system I have. If I ever treat myself to a serious telephoto prime, then I will look again at the Arca kit.

Thanks again and regards

Steve