Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

FA Lens on Older Film Bodies

I know legacy Pentax lenses are famous for their compatability on newer digital bodies, but are FA lenses safe to use on older film-era bodies? I realize they would have to be manually focused and apertures/exposures manually set. I want to use my precious FA 31 Ltd on my MX body but do not want to damage any coupling mechanisms. Mahalo for your help.

10-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should work fine with the restrictions you already noted.
10-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Totally fine. Manual focus, just remember to move the aperture off A. Then it will work like any K or M series lens. Perfectly fine.

Regards

Chris

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 08:16 AM ----------

Totally fine. Manual focus, just remember to move the aperture off A. Then it will work like any K or M series lens. Perfectly fine.

Regards

Chris
10-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiiPentaxian Quote
I know legacy Pentax lenses are famous for their compatability on newer digital bodies, but are FA lenses safe to use on older film-era bodies? I realize they would have to be manually focused and apertures/exposures manually set. I want to use my precious FA 31 Ltd on my MX body but do not want to damage any coupling mechanisms. Mahalo for your help.
Perhaps you are thinking of the Spotmatic F and ES which can be damaged by S-M-C or SMC Takumars that are not set to Auto. K-mount lenses have no such limitations.

10-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It will work like a charm! Just focus, set your aperture ring correctly, and shoot!
10-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I use my FA-series lenses all the time on my manual focus K-mount cameras.

Steve
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks! Will look forward to shooting sme b&w this weekend!
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

FA lenses were designed (for the most part) before the digital era. They are 135 format designs and should work on Pentax K-mount film cameras.

So you are asking if a lens designed for a film camera is compatible with a film camera? I don't understand.

The Elitist, formerly known as PDL

10-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

No issues with FA lenses on a manual focus film body. As mentioned just move the aperture off the "A" selection and enjoy.

The only FA lenses that will be a problem on your MX are the FAJ series, these do not have an aperture ring.

Phil.
10-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
FA lenses were designed (for the most part) before the digital era. They are 135 format designs and should work on Pentax K-mount film cameras.

So you are asking if a lens designed for a film camera is compatible with a film camera? I don't understand.

The Elitist, formerly known as PDL
You didn't follow my question. I get they were developed in the film era. But they were also developed after the earlier film bodies (hence my reference to this and the MX) to include coupling for automatic aperture control and auto focus. I thought it was possible but wanted to confirm there wouldn't be any problems with the related coupling mechanisms. I believe the earlier responders understood and constructively answered my question. Elitist indeed.
10-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiiPentaxian Quote
But they were also developed after the earlier film bodies (hence my reference to this and the MX) to include coupling for automatic aperture control and auto focus.
When the FA lenses debuted, Pentax was still making manual focus cameras and the FA lenses were fully compatible. Many users on this site, myself included, have a long history with Pentax-compatible lenses and bodies. To us, it is immediately obvious that the FA lenses should be widely compatible*. For those with less experience, Dimitrov's K-mount Web site is a good place for research regarding mount features and compatibility.

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Steve

* The FA-series, and to a lesser extent the F-series, may be the most widely-compatible lenses Pentax ever made. I believe that they fully support all features of all K-mount bodies with the exception of the ME F.