Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Looking to purchase a k-30 dslr and I'm confused by the variance in prices.

I have some question about the k-30 camera. Is there more then one model. If so do some models have a metal body vs a plastic body. Are there different models for the us market (made in us) and the international market? Is there any logical reason for such a variance in prices by amazon and other retailers? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I known pentax has discontinued the camera but I've read some reviews and I think k-30 is my best option considering price and the fact that I have several lenses and flashes from an old sf-10 camera which I could use with the k-30

10-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcantone Quote
I have some question about the k-30 camera. Is there more then one model. If so do some models have a metal body vs a plastic body. Are there different models for the us market (made in us) and the international market? Is there any logical reason for such a variance in prices by amazon and other retailers? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I known pentax has discontinued the camera but I've read some reviews and I think k-30 is my best option considering price and the fact that I have several lenses and flashes from an old sf-10 camera which I could use with the k-30
The K-30 is discontinued and has been for well over a year, that's why the prices at retailers are all over the place. Its replacement (virtually identical in terms of specs) is rather affordable:

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body, Black, Bundle w/Adorama $50 Gift Certificate 10883 A

All of your old lenses will work with the K-30/K-50. Old Pentax flashes will only work in manual mode.

Are there different models for the us market (made in us) and the international market?
No, the cameras are the same.

If so do some models have a metal body vs a plastic body
The high-end Pentax bodies, like the K-3, K-5, and K-7, have metal bodies. The K-30 and K-50 do not.

Learn more about the different Pentax models in our camera database and in-depth reviews:

Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Be careful with old flashes, some of them run at higher voltages than modern dslr cameras and flashes and this means the old flashes may destroy the electronics of the hotshoe on your dslr. Also, though the K30 doesn't have an all metal body it does have a metal chassis inside, as seen in this photo: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p511/medium/k30chassis.jpg. I would also recommend getting a new K50, unless you really prefer the unique looks of the K30 because they are essentially the same camera in a different wrapper.
10-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Save your self some money and buy a k30 put the savings towards another lens.
If you look at any search for K30-vs-K50 you wil see why you might as well buy the K30

10-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Depends, K-30 is dearer in Australia than the K-50 in popular camera stores (AND on ebay.com.au)
Go figure.

DCW
DiGiDirect
10-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some colors of the K-30 seem to be more than others probably because they made less of them. When I was looking at them I noticed the white model was often cheaper than the red or blue or the custom colors. Usually the black was the least expensive. Once you start getting beyond the white, red, blue or black, the main colors they released they start getting very dear. I'm talking $300 price jumps just because the camera is a different color than those...
10-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Old Pentax flashes will only work in manual mode.
????

Pentax flashes targeted to the SF1 will not support P-TTL, but that does not mean that they will be manual mode only on current Pentax dSLR cameras. Many of those older flashes have on-board control sensors and are capable of providing hybrid flash automation (so-called "auto" mode) using the older analog protocols. My AF 280T (sold from 1981 to 1999) works great on my K-3 and on the K10D in P, Tv, Sv, M, and X with the flash in "auto". I would suggest trying the flash before throwing it in the trash.

BTW, all Pentax-brand flashes have safe trigger voltages for Pentax dSLRs.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-10-2014 at 12:32 PM.
10-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Be careful with old flashes, some of them run at higher voltages than modern dslr cameras and flashes and this means the old flashes may destroy the electronics of the hotshoe on your dslr. Also, though the K30 doesn't have an all metal body it does have a metal chassis inside, as seen in this photo: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p511/medium/k30chassis.jpg. I would also recommend getting a new K50, unless you really prefer the unique looks of the K30 because they are essentially the same camera in a different wrapper.
Thanks for the heads up. The newer of my two flashes is the pentax AF500ftz. Will that flash work of with a K-30 or K-50?

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
????

Pentax flashes targeted to the SF1 will not support P-TTL, but that does not mean that they will be manual mode only on current Pentax dSLR cameras. Many of those older flashes have on-board control sensors and are capable of providing hybrid flash automation (so-called "auto" mode) using the older analog protocols. My AF 280T (sold from 1981 to 1999) works great on my K-3 and on the K10D in P, Tv, Sv, M, and X with the flash in "auto". I would suggest trying the flash before throwing it in the trash.

BTW, all Pentax-brand flashes have safe trigger voltages for Pentax dSLRs.

Steve
Thanks for the info. I have a AF500ftz, will it support P-TTL on k-30?

10-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the heads up. The newer of my two flashes is the pentax AF500ftz. Will that flash work of with a K-30 or K-50?
I have used a Pentax AF 400FTZ on my K30 without any problems, and here is a link discussing your flash: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/17912-...-af500ftz.html

I would think it would be ok, but you will not have p-ttl and may have to shoot in full manual mode, which isn't as hard as some people may think. If the Af500ftz has flash output level adjustments on it then you can control flash brightness that way, if not then it will probably only fire at full power every time, and you have to control the exposure with using a small aperture, faster shutter speed, and low iso. Make sense?

Edit: From the link I posted it looks like you can adjust the power level on the flash, which is good. I'd study that link, it has a lot of good info about your flash situation.

Last edited by stillshot2; 10-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.
10-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I have used a Pentax AF 400FTZ on my K30 without any problems, and here is a link discussing your flash: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/17912-...-af500ftz.html

I would think it would be ok, but you will not have p-ttl and may have to shoot in full manual mode, which isn't as hard as some people may think. If the Af500ftz has flash output level adjustments on it then you can control flash brightness that way, if not then it will probably only fire at full power every time, and you have to control the exposure with using a small aperture, faster shutter speed, and low iso. Make sense?

Edit: From the link I posted it looks like you can adjust the power level on the flash, which is good. I'd study that link, it has a lot of good info about your flash situation.
Thanks