Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
So that was you!!!!??? ...
Then it's only fair: you can buy the K-3 I wanted no divorce needed, it was my fault!
My bid coverage was small, I was slightly hopeful I'd be outbid so I would wait & get 'your' K-3.

10-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Then it's only fair: you can buy the K-3 I wanted no divorce needed, it was my fault!
My bid coverage was small, I was slightly hopeful I'd be outbid so I would wait & get 'your' K-3.
I don't think she'll go for that, but just in case, what K3 were you looking at?

Wait. You were speaking in the metaphorical sense, weren't you?

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-11-2014 at 06:09 PM.
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have a K-5 IIs and a K-3, and use them both often for action shots in challenging light (live gig photography for a national website).
I would agree with every point jatrax made below. When I use only one DSLR body the K-3 is the choice every time.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-3 is:
- faster more responsive
- I prefer the button layout on the k-3 particularly the AF button
- more pixels = more room to crop, for what I do that helps, IQ is not noticeably better
- exposure seems to be more reliable and closer to what I would want
- AF is faster and surer, not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable
- more focus points
10-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
When I use only one DSLR body the K-3 is the choice every time.
... and just when I thought I'd made my mind up.

10-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I don't think she'll go for that, but just in case, what K3 were you looking at?

Wait. You were speaking in the metaphorical sense, weren't you?
I'd show her the new edition first, then settle for a black one. She can win that argument and you still get a K-3!
No I really was split on which model to buy, and if this bid failed (and I really stopped looking) I had figured maybe early next month I'd seek a K-3... reluctantly, in case my wife was watching! I'd love the newer Prestige model and a DA50, but that's another few hundred dollars that I don't have. Both K-3 and IIs have desirable features, as you know - but I am used to the 5-series controls so I'll stay with that & "save" some money in the near term.

Good luck with your decision, either choice is a winner!
10-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'd show her the new edition first, then settle for a black one. She can win that argument and you still get a K-3!
^^++^^ That's your plan. Bait & switch in reverse. Show the expensive one for sticker shock then sell the 'lower' priced one as a bargain.

You could go all out and show a 645z, but that might be over kill.....
10-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh what a tangled web we weave ...

Oh, what the heck. It just might work!!

10-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #23

Pentax hasn't changed the mount with the K3 have they?
I sold an "A" zoom to a guy on Ebay, and now he says that it won't work with the K3 because the pins are different. I didn't hear anything about the mount changing, so I think he's lying.
10-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Pentax hasn't changed the mount with the K3 have they? I sold an "A" zoom to a guy on Ebay, and now he says that it won't work with the K3 because the pins are different. I didn't hear anything about the mount changing, so I think he's lying.
Nope, no change.

If he has the aperture ring in a non-'A' setting he might not know how to make it work though. Tell him to put the aperture ring in 'A' or enable the "use aperture ring" setting in the menu.
10-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Nope, no change.

If he has the aperture ring in a non-'A' setting he might not know how to make it work though. Tell him to put the aperture ring in 'A' or enable the "use aperture ring" setting in the menu.
Yeah, I try to keep up with all of the Pentax news, and I didn't read anything like that. I think I'll try to educate him tomorrow; maybe the "doesn't work" bit is really "I should'a bought an AF model."
10-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really news, it is that way on all the digital pentax's
10-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK I've decided to test the foundation of my marriage and move forward with the K3. The reasons for a K3 over a K5 IIs are many for the professional and few for the amateur. I am a rank amateur and for me photography is a hobby and recreational thing. There was one thing that pushed me to the K3 in my search to upgrade from the beginner camera ranks -- Live View Focus Peaking. These tired eyes really need it when shooting macro flower shots with razor-thin DOF -- especially with manual lenses. I'm sure I will find other aspects that will endear me further to the K3, but that was just a deal-breaker on the K5 IIs for me. It'll be sad moving on from my K500 as it is a tremendous value and wonderful piece of gear at an insanely low price. It will remain in the family as it moves down to my teenage daughter so it will have a nice home.

I'll be ordering my K3 at the end of the week and will post up if I need a place to stay for a bit afterwards. Nothing permanent as I'm pretty sure the wife and I will reconcile.

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
10-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure it's the same colour as the K-500 and she may not notice
10-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Make sure it's the same colour as the K-500 and she may not notice
I don't think she'll notice the camera -- it's the $900+ missing from our account that will raise her suspicions. But I'm ready ...

"Honey!! Seems our bank account was compromised. Yeah, I know. That is strange -- what are the odds that the only transaction is for a camera purchase. And a top of the line Pentax at that!! I'll call the bank right-away and let them know!"

Could work.

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-20-2014 at 08:01 PM.
10-20-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superior metering and flash photography with K-3 too

You may have ordered your K-3 already, when I'm posting this, but from what I read about the K-3 vs. the K-5 IIs, it would seem that you may come to cherish your choice for two more factors, maybe even a third:
  • P-TTL flash that actually works, even when you try bouncing external flash and other advanced stuff
  • the wonderfully accurate (pattern) metering, which even uses RGB colour information (to the point where it reduces post processing time significantly, when compared with my old K-7)
  • the improved AWB, including Multi AWB mode (again, a marked improvement over my K-7)
At any rate, happy shooting with your new Pentax, whichever model you decide on!