Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
At any rate, happy shooting with your new Pentax, whichever model you decide on!
Marc,

I did get the K3 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on WED. Thanks for the additional info, it further validates that I have made the right decision.

Follow-up question for you or others: How prevalent is the Mirror-Flap issue with the new cameras. Is this something that has been resolved in later production units or is it an issue waiting to happen no matter how new the K3?

Thanks!!

10-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from my K500 in 2-3 weeks and am somewhat perplexed. I had narrowed it down to a K5 IIs, but now that the K3 is dropping in price, I cannot not consider it. So assuming a $350-$400 delta between the 2 bodies, is there really enough difference between the K5 IIs and K3 to warrant me waiting to save up the difference? The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA. The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at, but the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing. I've looked at the specs side-by-side via the Camera Comparison section, but what I'm looking for is "real world" opinions, and I'm hoping you fine folks could provide key differentiating factors based on usage to help me decide.

Thanks!!!
I opted for the K-5 IIs, due the much longer battery life, slightly higher dynamic range, slightly better image according to some reviews.
10-20-2014, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Little concern over potential mirror-flap here

Follow-up question for you or others: How prevalent is the Mirror-Flap issue with the new cameras. Is this something that has been resolved in later production units or is it an issue waiting to happen no matter how new the K3?

Thanks!!
While I don't have anything official from Ricoh Imaging, my last impression, and already when I picked up mine, was that they had fixed the issue, or were at least happy to fix it under warranty in case it did occur.

So far, the mirror of my sample obtained in the summer has been working just fine. My old K-7 already used to be an unobtrusive camera, but even when I'm firing my K-3 in burst mode, all I'm hearing is this gentle flap-flap-flap of that wonderfully quiet shutter/mirror mechanism. I bet this feature will endear you to the K-3 even more ...
10-21-2014, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marc,

I did get the K3 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on WED. Thanks for the additional info, it further validates that I have made the right decision.

Thanks!!
I haven't seen it at all, but my understanding is that Ricoh can fix it with a firmware update if you ever have an issue with it.

10-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I'm looking to upgrade from my K500 in 2-3 weeks and am somewhat perplexed. I had narrowed it down to a K5 IIs, but now that the K3 is dropping in price, I cannot not consider it. So assuming a $350-$400 delta between the 2 bodies, is there really enough difference between the K5 IIs and K3 to warrant me waiting to save up the difference? The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA. The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at, but the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing. I've looked at the specs side-by-side via the Camera Comparison section, but what I'm looking for is "real world" opinions, and I'm hoping you fine folks could provide key differentiating factors based on usage to help me decide.

Thanks!!!
I opted for the K-5IIS per its rating in the DXOMark camera database, its' price, and reviews in Pentax forums and elsewhere. The K-3 I cannot personally rate because I have never tested with or owned it, and at the price it is selling for and accompanying warranty you yourself will be able to safely use and evaluate it most likely without disappointment. Please don't take it negatively that I have found my K-5IIS amazing in performance in almost every aspect, and I know what it is like making the choice in buying a new camera. The K-3 also has similar features to the K-5IIs and others that have been mentioned in this forum already which you may enjoy. I wish you luck.
10-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I opted for the K-5IIS per its rating in the DXOMark camera database, its' price, and reviews in Pentax forums and elsewhere. The K-3 I cannot personally rate because I have never tested with or owned it, and at the price it is selling for and accompanying warranty you yourself will be able to safely use and evaluate it most likely without disappointment. Please don't take it negatively that I have found my K-5IIS amazing in performance in almost every aspect, and I know what it is like making the choice in buying a new camera. The K-3 also has similar features to the K-5IIs and others that have been mentioned in this forum already which you may enjoy. I wish you luck.
Thanks. It was a very difficult decision and frankly, I was ready to go with the K5 IIs. When I found that the K5 II or IIs did not support Focus Peaking via Live View, that pushed me to the K3. I like to shoot macro and use manual lenses and this is something I just had to have. I used Focus Peaking with my K500 and found it invaluable becoming quite an important feature for me -- doing without is really not something I wanted to do. If the K5 IIs had Focus Peaking, I would most certainly have gotten one.
10-21-2014, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I had to decide three times-- once for myself, once for my dad, and once for my fiance--

(Me) I got a K-3. I can't remember what my reasoning was at the time, but there were some great body + lens bundles at Adorama, and I ended up springing for one of those.

(My dad) It was a present for him, and I would spend $700 but not $1000, so the K-5IIs it was.

(My fiance) His favorite thing to do is take pictures of birds with the long lens, and we thought the faster focus motor on the K-3 would be much better for him. Plus, I know that if we got him a K-5IIs, he'd always end up borrowing my K-3 anyway, thus ruining the point of buying him a camera body so he wouldn't keep wanting to use mine!

10-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Thanks. It was a very difficult decision and frankly, I was ready to go with the K5 IIs. When I found that the K5 II or IIs did not support Focus Peaking via Live View, that pushed me to the K3. I like to shoot macro and use manual lenses and this is something I just had to have. I used Focus Peaking with my K500 and found it invaluable becoming quite an important feature for me -- doing without is really not something I wanted to do. If the K5 IIs had Focus Peaking, I would most certainly have gotten one.
You're welcome.
10-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo!! My K3 arrived a day early. Thanks to all that provided guidance in helping me make the right decision!!
10-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
The differrence in price is not all that much
You cannot assume $300 is "not all that much" for everyone lol
10-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Agreed. I had to sell a lot of blood to.make up that difference.