Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter
ripper2860's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
At any rate, happy shooting with your new Pentax, whichever model you decide on!
Marc,

I did get the K3 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on WED. Thanks for the additional info, it further validates that I have made the right decision.

Follow-up question for you or others: How prevalent is the Mirror-Flap issue with the new cameras. Is this something that has been resolved in later production units or is it an issue waiting to happen no matter how new the K3?

Thanks!!

10-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,182
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from my K500 in 2-3 weeks and am somewhat perplexed. I had narrowed it down to a K5 IIs, but now that the K3 is dropping in price, I cannot not consider it. So assuming a $350-$400 delta between the 2 bodies, is there really enough difference between the K5 IIs and K3 to warrant me waiting to save up the difference? The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA. The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at, but the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing. I've looked at the specs side-by-side via the Camera Comparison section, but what I'm looking for is "real world" opinions, and I'm hoping you fine folks could provide key differentiating factors based on usage to help me decide.


Thanks!!!
I opted for the K-5 IIs, due the much longer battery life, slightly higher dynamic range, slightly better image according to some reviews.
10-20-2014, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #33
Senior Member
Madaboutpix's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 221
Little concern over potential mirror-flap here

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Follow-up question for you or others: How prevalent is the Mirror-Flap issue with the new cameras. Is this something that has been resolved in later production units or is it an issue waiting to happen no matter how new the K3?

Thanks!!
While I don't have anything official from Ricoh Imaging, my last impression, and already when I picked up mine, was that they had fixed the issue, or were at least happy to fix it under warranty in case it did occur.

So far, the mirror of my sample obtained in the summer has been working just fine. My old K-7 already used to be an unobtrusive camera, but even when I'm firing my K-3 in burst mode, all I'm hearing is this gentle flap-flap-flap of that wonderfully quiet shutter/mirror mechanism. I bet this feature will endear you to the K-3 even more ...
10-21-2014, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,963
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Marc,

I did get the K3 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on WED. Thanks for the additional info, it further validates that I have made the right decision.

Follow-up question for you or others: How prevalent is the Mirror-Flap issue with the new cameras. Is this something that has been resolved in later production units or is it an issue waiting to happen no matter how new the K3?

Thanks!!
I haven't seen it at all, but my understanding is that Ricoh can fix it with a firmware update if you ever have an issue with it.

10-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,930
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from my K500 in 2-3 weeks and am somewhat perplexed. I had narrowed it down to a K5 IIs, but now that the K3 is dropping in price, I cannot not consider it. So assuming a $350-$400 delta between the 2 bodies, is there really enough difference between the K5 IIs and K3 to warrant me waiting to save up the difference? The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA. The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at, but the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing. I've looked at the specs side-by-side via the Camera Comparison section, but what I'm looking for is "real world" opinions, and I'm hoping you fine folks could provide key differentiating factors based on usage to help me decide.


Thanks!!!
I opted for the K-5IIS per its rating in the DXOMark camera database, its' price, and reviews in Pentax forums and elsewhere. The K-3 I cannot personally rate because I have never tested with or owned it, and at the price it is selling for and accompanying warranty you yourself will be able to safely use and evaluate it most likely without disappointment. Please don't take it negatively that I have found my K-5IIS amazing in performance in almost every aspect, and I know what it is like making the choice in buying a new camera. The K-3 also has similar features to the K-5IIs and others that have been mentioned in this forum already which you may enjoy. I wish you luck.
10-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Site Supporter
ripper2860's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 714
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I opted for the K-5IIS per its rating in the DXOMark camera database, its' price, and reviews in Pentax forums and elsewhere. The K-3 I cannot personally rate because I have never tested with or owned it, and at the price it is selling for and accompanying warranty you yourself will be able to safely use and evaluate it most likely without disappointment. Please don't take it negatively that I have found my K-5IIS amazing in performance in almost every aspect, and I know what it is like making the choice in buying a new camera. The K-3 also has similar features to the K-5IIs and others that have been mentioned in this forum already which you may enjoy. I wish you luck.
Thanks. It was a very difficult decision and frankly, I was ready to go with the K5 IIs. When I found that the K5 II or IIs did not support Focus Peaking via Live View, that pushed me to the K3. I like to shoot macro and use manual lenses and this is something I just had to have. I used Focus Peaking with my K500 and found it invaluable becoming quite an important feature for me -- doing without is really not something I wanted to do. If the K5 IIs had Focus Peaking, I would most certainly have gotten one.
10-21-2014, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian
Outis's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 899
I had to decide three times-- once for myself, once for my dad, and once for my fiance--

(Me) I got a K-3. I can't remember what my reasoning was at the time, but there were some great body + lens bundles at Adorama, and I ended up springing for one of those.

(My dad) It was a present for him, and I would spend $700 but not $1000, so the K-5IIs it was.

(My fiance) His favorite thing to do is take pictures of birds with the long lens, and we thought the faster focus motor on the K-3 would be much better for him. Plus, I know that if we got him a K-5IIs, he'd always end up borrowing my K-3 anyway, thus ruining the point of buying him a camera body so he wouldn't keep wanting to use mine!
10-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,930
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Thanks. It was a very difficult decision and frankly, I was ready to go with the K5 IIs. When I found that the K5 II or IIs did not support Focus Peaking via Live View, that pushed me to the K3. I like to shoot macro and use manual lenses and this is something I just had to have. I used Focus Peaking with my K500 and found it invaluable becoming quite an important feature for me -- doing without is really not something I wanted to do. If the K5 IIs had Focus Peaking, I would most certainly have gotten one.
You're welcome.

10-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
Site Supporter
ripper2860's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 714
Original Poster
Woohoo!! My K3 arrived a day early. Thanks to all that provided guidance in helping me make the right decision!!
10-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 616
QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
The differrence in price is not all that much
You cannot assume $300 is "not all that much" for everyone lol
10-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
Site Supporter
ripper2860's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 714
Original Poster
Agreed. I had to sell a lot of blood to.make up that difference.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, focus, k-3, k-5, k3, k5, k5 iis vs, money, pentax help, photography, pix, portraits, shot, shots, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 IIs or K3 applejax Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 06-06-2014 07:04 PM
Pentax k3 vs. k5 iis str8talk83 Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 05-11-2014 04:34 PM
K5 IIs or K3? The Kellyboy Pentax K-5 10 11-22-2013 11:25 PM
K3 auto WB on the K5 IIs... Santoku Pentax K-5 3 11-13-2013 07:05 AM
K5 vs. K5 II and IIs JBWPhoto Pentax K-5 15 12-31-2012 11:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top